"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I doubt if speaking Spanish attracts much attention. Maybe it is what you say or how you say it, instead of the language you say it in.
Yeah, instead of saying, "Dame cerveza, por favor", maybe you're saying, "Dame cabeza, por favor."

Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
My feeling about this is get with reality folks

I am an old person and have seen my most sacred of drinks, the martini, turned into everything it is not. Without a whimper or whine from the general populace.

I accepted it.

I have also seen food that never, ever would be served in China in Chinese restaurants (yep, there was a time I could translate the menus in Chinese restaurants in in NY and SF Chinatowns and order from them). Most Americans have no idea what authentic Chinese food is.

Heck have a second cousin once removed who went to China and compained they could not make a decent pepper steak. Just an example.

If a restaurant wishes to call their food authentic anything, well, it seems to me one can try it and decide if they like it or not. And then go back, or not, or try to find a lawyer who will press a suit for some law I know nothing about.

"Your honor, that place says they serve true Oaxacan cuisine and no self respecting Oazacan would ever eat that slop."

Good luck pressing that case.

Look, once a region's or county's cuisine is up for interpretation it will be, well, interpreted.

Sorry. But that is the way cooks are.

I do feel a bit peckish at the moment, sorry.
auntdot, I always like it when you are feeling peckish (and even when you are feeling peevish). You have a knack for introducing sense into these kinds of discussions.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
I doubt if speaking Spanish attracts much attention.
It does if you're a white boy, and the only white boy in the place!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
It does if you're a white boy, and the only white boy in the place!
My Spanish is limited but gets me by in a pinch. I have never had the experience you describe as a customer in a place of business. The fact that you routinely seem to, strongly suggests you are feeling what the shrinks call projection.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
I bet there is a supermarket filling the same niche in Tulsa.
More than one, that's for sure! The Super-Wally-World that I normally shop at also has quite a bit of Hispanic merchandise. Heck, the ASIAN grocery store I also shop at has started carrying Hispanic merchandise! The really nice thing, is the Asian place and the Mexican place are less than a quarter-mile apart. The Tortilleria is next door to the Mexican place.

I think most, if not all, of the Wally-Worlds in town carry a large amount of Latin merchandise. Some of the other big-name stores also carry some stuff. I can find annatto seeds (achiote) at a Reasor's, and no where else, even the Mexican places. Go figure........
Old 07-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #36
Executive Chef

The WM in Trinidad,CO and the local grocery store here in Raton also carriy alot of Mexican Products, Mexican Cheeses,Spices,Canned Goods,Mexican sodas etc its great.In the south west its the norm as we have a huge hispanic population which is normal,But again its regional most people have never heard of dried posole (hominy) which is delicious rather than canned or frozen.In other places blue corn meal or blue corn meal tortillas are readily available although I believe its more indian but thats what it is all about, fusion cooking years before that term came out. I dont care where I go in the South West the red chili and green chili is vastly different and I mean restaurant to restaurant house to house.Again Im a fan of North New Mexcico food southern Colorado also pretty much makes the North New Mexico fare.Where I live a poblano chili is hardly heard of as we have the Hatch Green and red chile grown in southern New Mexico we dont do too much with Tomatiilos either.I think alot of these recipes have their roots from Mexico but people had to adapt using what they had turniing it into another wonderful cuisine.
You guys need to make a trip to New Mexico go to Santa Fe and experience a whole different life style.
Corazon help me on this.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
You guys need to make a trip to New Mexico go to Santa Fe and experience a whole different life style.
Corazon help me on this.
Ma'am, I made many youthful trips through New Mexico. Pulling around a mountain curve and seeing Albuquerque's lights open up below the cliff is one of my favorite memories.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #38
Executive Chef

It's been 15 years since I've been out there. Now you're making me think about a road trip! The drive from Cimmaron to Taos is a great one. If I remember right, that's where a lot of the car manufacturers test-drive their new models under real-world conditions.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I think alot of these recipes have their roots from Mexico but people had to adapt using what they had turniing it into another wonderful cuisine.
And although it might have evolved some since, that distinct cuisine existed before Mexico ceded the territory to the US, which is why I have such a hard time understanding the central point of this thread. I guess the style of cooking you describe was authentically Mexican before the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildago, but not after.

Either way it's good eatin in my book.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I also recomend Mexican food and Mexican recipes at MexGrocer.com for the miscelania you sometimes cant get. But then you might not need it, here in Boston it's very latin but not very Mexican, so most stores dont carry what I need.

Edit: I did a little backwards read...

On being the odd guy out: I basically look like some white guy (some mexicans do) but I dont feel out of place where everyone is of another ethnicity. Maybe it's because I already had to adapt to a new country, but seriosly go to a hole in the wall PHO place and you will see more and more latinos, because there is just something wholesome and old fasioned about it. It's like having grandma's soup if you grew up in parts of the south or in Mexico, only with some extra ingredients.

On the Olive Garden: some movie or comic had a joke once where some mobsters planing a betrayal meet at the Olive Garden because they knew that it was the last place they would run into a fellow italian mobster or their immediate family.

Tags
None