Is it real, or is it Tex-Mex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jpmcgrew said:
You guys need to make a trip to New Mexico go to Santa Fe and experience a whole different life style.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, there's nothing like Northern New Mexico. Even within the state, there are huge variations in "Mexican food." In Taos you'll find "authentic" black beans in nearly every restaurant, but you couldn't find a black bean in Gallup or Las Cruces.

Throughout New Mexico, a sopapilla is puffy dough. In Southern New Mexico, people tend to eat it with their meal, to sop up the chile. In Northern New Mexico, it's most often eaten after the meal with honey. Some people squish it flat and put honey on top; others bite off a corner and drip honey inside. (That's how I do it.)

Elsewhere in the U.S., I've been served "sopapillas" that were doughnuts, fried tortillas with chocolate sauce, and frybread covered in cinnamon-sugar.

Part of me wants to say "cuisine is regional, nobody's correct, yada yada."

But it's more satisfying to say these people are wrong, and there's only one right way to make a sopapilla, and it should be served after the meal and the honey goes on the inside.

."

But it's more satisfying to say these people are wrong, and there's only one right way to make a sopapilla, and it should be served after the meal and the honey goes on the inside.[/quote]
:) You are so right not only is the sopapilla at least to me eaten after the meal with honey but its used to sopp up the sauce off plate.Some people like to put honey on their enchiladas or burritos smotherd with red or green chile sauce plates especially if they are hot spice wise.

When I was a kid, my mother would ocassionally treat us with sopapillas, which we ripped off the corner when hot, drizzled in honey, and downed them.

When I worked at a cajun place here in Tulsa, they did "beignets", made with sopapillas mix, and dusted them with powdered sugar. Basically, to me, it was the same as a sopapilla, just a different sweetener.

:) Northern NM is a class of its own it does go into Southern Colorado.Black beans are not well known but in Old Mexico its standard.I love black beans but again I love all kinds of beans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom