"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Also if too much rice is a concern then you could always get sashimi which is just the raw fish. absolutely delicious! They key to good sushi is location though. Where do you live Mylegsbig? If it is somewhere that fresh fish is readily available then go for it!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I was gonna say about sushi being healthy: it's especially good if you take your time eating it (chopsticks help here). One thing that I notice is that most men eat WAY too fast, usually because they grew up competing with their brothers and friends "for the last slice". If you eat sushi slowly you'll find yourself full nice and early and it's suprisingly easy on the stomache, especially when acompanied by 1 cup of sake or beer.

On the other hand shoveling a dozen tuna rolls will kill you just as good as a bunch of hamburgers will.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have also made sushi with brown rice - still VERY good. Make a peanut sauce but on the thinner side. It's excellent with the brown rice. If you don't eat the raw fish grill some Tempeh to use in place of it - very good! But the soy sauce and peanut sauce is a good combination.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
Cook

Wink

I was just reading about the best fish to buy, since my kids eat alot of shrimp I was worried about Mercury and toxins in fish. I found out the younger fish has less toxins since they build up in fish as they get older and bigger. We limit our tuna to twice a month, but other smaller fish like salmon you can eat a couple times a week, Im not sure how big yellowtail are. Our Sushi usually has tuna, yellowtail, eel, crab, shrimp and salmon, I only worry about the tuna so far.
If your trying to loose weight the easiest way is to have a protein, a starch and big helping of veggies three times a day. Your protein serving should be about the size of a deck of cards add a little if your bigger person. Onions are really good about carrying fats out of the body also. All those things work togethor in a meal and it is a good long term plan to keep your weight in check, if you don't get enough protein you will be hungry all day, and the veggies help carry out the fats. Sushi is a good source of protein and kelp is good at stimulating the thyroid along with shrimp. Try and stay away from too much fried stuff. Now if I could just follow that myself, easier said than done.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Why........ "yes", I AM healthy!!! Thanks for asking!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Why........ "yes", I AM healthy!!! Thanks for asking!!!
But your... deadly...

(lugaru take's a few steps back)
Old 05-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Is Sushi Healthy?
As long as you pass on the blowfish, yes, it is exceptionally healthy.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:08 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
yea sushi i would say its semi-healthy. since my parents keep saying that eating white rice will make ppl big, which i doubt.

raw fish = sashimi

raw fish = high mercury content but i don't care as long as its good. we'll eventually get use to that mercury in fish
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
I am on a type II diabetes diet. I treat myself to some sashimi every other week or so. It is a great food for a diabetic (or for some one pre diabetic like myself). No rice, no bread, ZERO carbohydrates and relatively low in fat and colories. YUMMY to boot!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Sushi is healthy,depending on what is in it and don't overdo on the soy sauce, there is too much salt in it (try low salt soy sauce) so if you are trying to eat healthy, certainly not a good idea. I worked in Japan for a year, and discovered that my teeth were going brown I had to polish them regularly. I think it was from the soy sauce I ate everything in soy sauce while there.

Tags
None