"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO a good bottled stir fry sauce

I'm looking for a bottled sauce.

I love to read PPo's sauce recipes, but for me, cooking for two, well I just don't have all the ingredients!

I have a very nice Asian Market just up the street, and they have like hundreds of prepared bottled sauces to choose from!

Has anyone tried these? a specific brand perhaps?

I generaly order brown/ garlic sauce when I call in from my nice local Asian restaurant, and they seem to know exactly what I want.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Cook

When I have a question like yours I go to the asian market: "Excuse me. I'm looking for the very best stir fry sauce you've got. If you were going to buy one of these sauces for your grandma which one would you choose please".
I've done this in asian markets/stores a number of times for different items and it works like a darn. Lots of smiles. Make sure to buy a basket full of things! LOL

Old 04-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Stir fry sauces are simple fare and there is no reason not to maker your own, even when cooking for two. All of the Asian ingredients like chili garlic sauce and hoisin sauce will last at least 3 months in your refrigerator

Depending on what you are making, select beef, chicken, or vegetable broth as appropriate.

Kung Pao Sauce

2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice wine or dry white wine
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup broth
1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water

Add the sauce to the completed stir fry and bring it to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer until desired thickness

Mongolian Sauce
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp turbinado sugar
  • 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
  • 2 Tbs dry sherry, white wine, or rice wine
  • 2 Tbs hoisin sauce
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup broth
Combine all ingredients. Add sauce to stir fry and heat until sauce has thickened

This is a little more complicated, but it goes really good with seafood:

Coconut Caramel Sauce
  • 2 cups demerara sugar
  • 1 cups coconut milk
  • 3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
  • cup minced shallots
  • 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Place the sugar in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cup of coconut milk. Mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir over medium heat until caramelized sugar is dissolved.

Stir in the fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and the remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until it reaches the desired thickness. Add fresh ground black pepper to taste and serve over seafood

Tags
sauce