ISO a Puerto Rican Rice recipe this is brown in color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevie

Cook
When I was a boy a family friend Elenor, made the best rice. She was born in Puerto Rico and had immigrated to New York then to Texas where I live. I don't know what type of rice she used but it came out a light brown color and delicious. I've tried brown rice from the store and that's not it. Any ideas?

I feel sure that she used just regular long-grain rice. The "brown" came from heating some oil in a skillet, when hot add the rice and brown it. It gives it a delicious nutty flavor. When I do this I like to add the appropriate amount of water to an ovenproof pan and cook in the oven with a few sprigs of thyme. It's wonderful!!!!

Do try browning it first - I think that's the key. Make sure the rice is well coated with the oil and stir VERY often to prevent burning.

I watched an episode of Dweezel and Lisa on FoodNetwork Thursday night.
They were on a trip to Puerto Rico. They visited a chef who was making a special fried rice and as he began, he said that the basis was "dirty rice", which he said was a staple in Puerto Rico. Here is the part of the recipe that supposedly made "dirty rice"...

precooked rice, cooked with a seasoning packet (recommended: Sazon Goya)

here is the link to the whole recipe
Dragonfly Stir-fry Rice

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom