ISO Authentic mexican recipies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelley

Assistant Cook
especially pico de gallo, and salsa verde "green sauce", and salsa rojo Red sauce"

Kelley, here is an authentic salsa (sauce) that is also sometimes called "Chile Colorado" and is the base for many dishes here in Mexico. Use it as an enchilada sauce (but don't bake your enchiladas in the oven!) or for mixing with chicken, pork or beef to fill tamales. I have good recipes for salsa verde and pico de gallo also; I'll post them.

Salso Rojo/Chiles Colorado

6 dried chiles guajillos
3 dried chiles ancho or pasilla
3 or 4 roma tomatoes
¼ onion
2 cloves garlic
1 and ½ cups chicken broth (or tomato boullion if you can find it)
2 TBS oil (usually corn oil)
salt to taste

Toast the chiles by putting them in a hot fry pan for just a few minutes, pressing down and then turning them over to release their fragrance. This takes 1-2 minutes. Then remove the stems, seeds and membranes and soak in hot water for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes and onion and cut into pieces.

Drain the chiles and transfer to a blender (this is probably the most important cooking tool in the Mexican kitchen!). Add the tomatoes, onion,, garlic and chicken stock and puree.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the pureed sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat and add salt to taste.

Here's another good one, Kelley - Enchiladas Verde. This the way they are served in Mexico.

1 whole chicken breast, about 12 oz
6 cups water
5 cloves garlic
1 small onion, cut in half
3 small sprigs parsley
1 carrot, cut in small pieces
2-4 chiles serranos (small green chiles, jalapenos will do if you can't find them)
2 lbs. tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1 TBS oil
12 corn tortillas
oil for frying
1/3 cup thick cream (can use creme fraiche)
1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco (if you can't find this, use feta)

Place the chicken, water, 3 cloves garlic, 1/4 onion, parsley, carrot, salt to taste in a large saucepan and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and shred the chicken, reserving the stock.

Add 2 cloves garlic and the chiles to a saucepan of boiling water. After 5 minutes, add the tomatillos and cook another 7 minutes. Drain.

In a blender, puree the tomatillos with the garlic, chiles and another onion quarter. Add the cilantro and process briefly so that the cilantro is not ground too fine.
Add one cup of the reserved chicken stock.

Heat the oil in a small skillet and saute the pureed tomatillo mixture for a few minutes, Add 1 tsp. salt and correct seasonings. Lower the heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1/2 cup stock.

Heat 1/2 inch oil in another skillet and fry the tortillas until they just begin to soften, about 10 seconds on a side. Dip the soft tortilla in the sauce, then transfer to a plate. Place some chicken in the center, roll up and arrange on a platter. Repeat until the tortillas are all used. Spoon the rest of the warm sauce over the platter and garnish with sliced onion, cream and cheese. Some sliced avocado would also be a tasty garnish.

Note that in Mexico, enchiladas are never baked in the oven like a casserole, the way I learned to do it in the States. If you want, you can keep them warm for a while in the oven on the platter. This sounds like alot of trouble, but it is VERY GOOD. Hope you enjoy.

Uno mas, Kelley - Salsa Verde

Salsa de Tomate Verde Cocida

3 cups (750 ml.) water
2 ½ tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic
4 chiles serranos
1 pound tomates verdes, husks removed
½ cup loosely packed cilantro
¼ cup finely chopped onion

In a saucepan, bring the water and 1 tsp. of the salt to a boil. Add the garlic, chiles and tomates verdes and simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup of the liquid.
Transfer the garlic, chiles, tomatoes verdes & liquid to a blender. Add the cilantro & remaining salt & puree briefly and CAREFULLY.
Stir in the chopped onion & let the sauce cool before serving.

Pico de gallo is salsa using fresh ingredients.

Fresh tomatoes, chopped
Jalapeno peppers, chopped (ribs and seeds removed)
Fresh lime juice
Fresh cilantro
Fresh spring onion or white onion or even red (combination is good too)

Now, I have had it with finely sliced cabbage too and it was excellent!

If you want to make a basic salsa you just use canned tomatoes and the rest is the same, minus the cabbage.

Sometimes I like to add a small pinch of ground cumin or a bit of red vinegar.

If you want a verde just replace the tomatoes with tomatillos. You can also use a combination of the two for a variation.

I love fresh Pico de Gallo. When we visited Playa de Carmen, I ate salads, fresh yogurt, jicama, friut and salsa the whole trip. Loved it. The people with me all got sick from sticking to "safe" foods.

I'm with you, JG. The fresh foods here are amazingly wonderful. They are the main highlight of Mexican cuisine. We got into an extended discussion last night with friends who are moving back to the states (temporarily) and were giving away their pantry contents. They had several bottles of "bacteriacida" that many people (gringos) use to soak their fresh fruits and vegetables. "No thanks, I never use it," I said. "NEVER???" They were aghast. Why soak these wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables in chemicals? We have never gotten sick from eating anything I cook or prepare at home. When we played it safe and went to VIPs (American chain affiliated with Walmart down here) Jerry got sick as a dog.

Help me out here.

I just spend about 15 minutes trying to find a clear cut difference between pico de gallo and what most people call salsa.

I know salsa can take many different forms. It's Spanish for sauce. I'm talking about the most common salsa made with tomato, jalapeño, onion, lime, etc.

Pico de gallo recipes, such as kitchenelf's, appear to have the same ingredients.

What's the scoop, please?

Andy, I think pico de gallo (which means "rooster's beak" in Spanish) is a Tex-Mex invention. I never hear that term being used here. The type of salsa (you're right; it simply means "sauce") that KE posted is usually called salsa fresca (fresh sauce) or salsa casera ("house" or everyday salsa). As I look at my pantry shelf, I see salsa soya (soy sauce), salsa tomate (tomato sauce), salsa tipo inglese (worcestershire sauce), etc. I'm not sure where the term pico de gallo came from. But there are many regional variations on words here, so other regions of Mexico may use the term, just not here.

Here in San Antonio, pico de gallo generally has less liquid than salsa, the ingredients are more coarsely chopped, and it is heavier on the jalapeño peppers.

Back
Top Bottom