"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Just one question Andy.
Does C in your receipe stand for cup?

Mel

Old 10-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel! View Post
Just one question Andy.
Does C in your receipe stand for cup?

Mel

Yes, Mel, C=Cup

Old 10-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Here's the recipe I was given, by the same Lebanese chef who gave me the shawarma recipe.

Baklava:
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup chopped pistachios
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • teaspoon ground allspice
  • cup sugar
  • 1 Tbs rose water
  • 1 lb package of Filo dough
  • 1 lb clarified butter
Syrup:
  • 1 cups sugar
  • cup honey
  • 1 cup water
  • tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1 tsp rose water
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325F.

Combine nuts, sugar. cinnamon, allspice, and rose water, and divide into 3 equal amounts. Spread a folded sheet (12 x 9 inches) of Filo dough in a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking pan, then add three more folded sheets, brushing each layer with butter, adding a layer of the nut mixture after 4 folded sheets, 8 folded sheets, and 12 folded sheets of the filo dough, then finish with 4 more folded sheets, continuing to butter each layer. Cut diagonally across the pan, reverse the pan and repeat, to form baklava into diamond shaped pieces. Bake at 325F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

While the baklava is baking, prepare the syrup by combining the sugar, honey, cinnamon, orange zest and water in a saucepan and cooking over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add the rose water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow the syrup to cool. Pour syrup over baked baklava, making sure the dough is well saturated.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Head Chef

Here is my mom's recipe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baklava.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	3118  
Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I used to live near Tarpon Springs, FL...very large Greek community there. The basic recipe for Baklava is usually pretty much the same (phyllo, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, butter, etc).

What usuallu makes the difference is the glaze. In addition to the honey and water, there should be a little lemon in it. I have also substituted out some of the water and used a bit of Ammaretto or Narcello instead. really good!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I prefer my baklava made with rose water - it makes a huge difference to my taste buds!
Hi Elfie, I've tried baklava recipes with rose water but noticed that its flavor gets drowned out by the honey in the syrup. Not sure if it's due to too small an amount of rosewater? Would you mind sharing your recipe for the syrup? Thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #17
Head Chef

Smile Baklava and test batches.

Two questions - first for Colby92 - could you describe a bit more what you mean by yours not being quite right? If you are treating the phylo with respect (kept under damp towel, buttered quickly and evenly, working fast, etc.) I'm guessing also it's the syrup you don't like. Could you describe? I messed around with bakalva quite a bit but it's been over a year. I found that I didn't like the rose or orange water and cut way back. Also, the sweetness was critical to me - worked on that so as not to be too sweet. The sweetness of the honey can vary brand to brand, home "grown" to home grown. Test batches of syrup are good to work with for taste. There are as many recipes as there are real baklava bakers. Don't be afraid of experimenting. Yes, I agree with the above - lemon juice is important. I'll try to find what I finally came up with. lol

CharlieD - serious question - I know nothing about kosher or keeping kosher. Is there something about baklava recipe that isn't kosher or would it be buying it from bakers who aren't certified kosher? Really would like to know even though I'm a heathern I do respect the beliefs and practices of others, if they are righteous and respectful as well. You are that I know.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
Head Chef

Exclamation Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Here it is: Shatila Food Products Just looking at the front page makes me drooling.

P.S. I recomend pistachio baklava not walnuts.

P.P.S. Wow, I just looked at the prices after all this years they went up maybe a dollar. Somebody please have some and tell me all about, I'll enjoy it thru you.
CharlieD, I just opened the link to the bakery - oh my - how do you resist? Baklava or (wa), mamoul with dates, muskabak ..... I must reprogram my little kitchen for destination middle east again. Got to go back and make baklava and mamoul again, plus some stuffed..... My My. Thanks Charlie.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I prefer my baklava made with rose water - it makes a huge difference to my taste buds!
YES! This is how I make mine. I usually grate orange peel and lemon peel into the syrup as well.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
CharlieD, I just opened the link to the bakery - oh my - how do you resist? Baklava or (wa), mamoul with dates, muskabak ..... I must reprogram my little kitchen for destination middle east again. Got to go back and make baklava and mamoul again, plus some stuffed..... My My. Thanks Charlie.

There is nothing specificaly None Kosher about Baklava, but, like you said it has to come from a certified place/bakery.

As far as to how I resist, simple, I just do not do it. Besides there are kosher baklava, not nearly as good, but never the less it is available.

Tags
None