"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Baklava recipes

Does anyone have a good baklava recipe? I can never get mine just right.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

There are countless versions of this famous dish. This is the version I grew up with in an Armenian household. We called it paklave with a "P" rather than baklava with a "B".

Paklava

1 1/2 C Sugar
1 C Water
1 tsp Lemon Juice
3 C Chopped Walnuts
1Tb Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ground Clove
3/4 Lb Unsalted Butter
1 Lb Phyllo Dough 1

Combine 1 1/4 cups of the sugar and the water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil, stirring often to ensure melting of the sugar. Boil for 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and set it aside to cool.

Mix the remaining sugar, the nuts and spices in a bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter. Brush the bottom of a 13x9 pan with the butter. Working with the first stack of phyllo sheets, place one sheet into the pan and brush it lightly with butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets in the first stack.

Spread the nut and spice mixture over the surface of the phyllo in the pan.

Working with the remaining stack of phyllo sheets, continue the layering and buttering with the remaining sheets of phyllo. Do not butter the top of the last sheet.

Place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325 F.

Remove the pan from the freezer and cut the paklava into a diamond or square pattern. Pour the remaining butter over the top of the paklava.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the top is a light golden brown. Turn off the oven and leave the pan in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and tilt the pan so excess butter will drain to a corner. Remove the excess butter. (Removing one corner piece of paklava will facilitate this step.)

Completely cool the pan on a cooling rack.

Using a large spoon, spread the syrup over the paklava as evenly as possible. Allow the paklava to rest for 2 hours before serving. Drain excess syrup.

Store, loosely covered, at room temperature.

1 Phyllo sheets measure 14 x 18 with approximately 20 sheets in a one pound package. Cut the stack of phyllo sheets in half, yielding two stacks of dough sheets containing approximately 20 sheets 14 x 9 each.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

Paklava and Baklava is the same thing. There is no P in Arabic language, rather P becomes B hence baklava instead of paklava.

I have to say I do not make one my self and since I started to keep kosher 8 years or so ago I stopped buying it from this one source I had. But when I did it was most amazing Baklava I ever had in my life. I've never had anything this good before or after. At the time it was amazingly inexpensive and amazingly good. There is this place In Deer Born Michigan that has a Lebanese Bakery, if I am allowed I will post a link. The stuff they make is heavenly.

Who do I ask about posting the link?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
...Who do I ask about posting the link?

No need to ask, Charlie. Go ahead and post a link.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I LOVE Baklava! There is a little corner convenience store and gas station a few miles up the road. The owners are from Greece, and they serve Gyros and Baklava year round. Nicest friendliest bunch of people, and I love the way that store smells.

The Baklava is 99 cents for a pie sized slice, and it is heavenly. The Gyros are 3.25 loaded, or 2.99 for a pound of the meat only. Incredible stuff!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I prefer my baklava made with rose water - it makes a huge difference to my taste buds!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Head Chef

I used to make it with my mom all the time...sheet after sheet of Phyllo dough kept under a damp towel...

AND..this is when she'd get the REAL butter out!

I'll get her recipe for you.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Master Chef

Here it is: Shatila Food Products Just looking at the front page makes me drooling.

P.S. I recomend pistachio baklava not walnuts.

P.P.S. Wow, I just looked at the prices after all this years they went up maybe a dollar. Somebody please have some and tell me all about, I'll enjoy it thru you.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

I've tried many different kinds of baklava, from different areas of the world, but my favourite is what we call "Greek baklava" (maybe it's not its proper name, but it's amazing!!!) Its filling is made of roughly ground mix of almonds and hazels (you can even use hazels only, but never wallnuts - they are to "heavy" for this kind of baklava), raisins, biscuit bread crumbles and a tiny addition (1-2 tablespoons) of semolina. Instead of oil, I use a mix of oil and butter to sprinkle each layer. It's made thinner than traditional baklava, with more syrup (you can omit lemon because of raisins), and it's even better in warm-hot variant (warm syryp over hot baklava), for this one is supposed to be soft, not crispy. A small addition of vanilla won't spoil it too. :) And you can eat a ton of it because it's light.

Note: by "bisquit bread crumbles" I mean rebaked slices of simple bread, finely ground. They add a special note to this sort of baklava.

There is another interesting filling as well, like mix of wallnuts, eggs and yogurt in one of several types of Kosova baklava (it's rolled, not in layers), but it must have very sweet and dense syryp (because it's cut to slices). It's very tasty, but a bit too heavy - you can't eat much of it.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I love Baklava, but have never tried to make it myself.
Now that I have a receipe I think I will.

Mel

Tags
None