ISO Basque Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Highly specialized cooking request, Petey.
As it's surrounded by water, I don't know how you'll find much without fish. Maybe lamb. If no response here, many spanish dishes I would think were similar.

Just what type of recipe are you looking for? soup,salad, veggies,meat,fish? My husbands aunt was Basque so I might be able to help.From what I remember of eating at her table the food was much the same as my mother-in-law who was Italian

kadesma

Just what type of recipe are you looking for? soup,salad, veggies,meat,fish? My husbands aunt was Basque so I might be able to help.From what I remember of eating at her table the food was much the same as my mother-in-law who was Italian

kadesma

Oh thats great :chef:

I'd be interested in soup, meats, stews. Just not seafood.

I made a Basque lamb stew recipe last week but regretted using lamb neck bones in it as there was small shards of bone even though i rinsed them before using in the recipe. Next time i'll use the lamb shoulder fillets instead.

Highly specialized cooking request, Petey.
As it's surrounded by water, I don't know how you'll find much without fish. Maybe lamb. If no response here, many spanish dishes I would think were similar.

Yeah, I know it's not an easy request as #1 Basque is a rare cuisine and #2 no seafood.

Just thought i'd throw it out there and see what i can get. I have done some recipe searches online but prefer to have someone who has actually tried the recipe help me out.

Petey,
try this I love it.
Get loin lamb chops with plenty of meat on them...About an inch thick..Bring the meat to room temp then put them on a HOT skilet or grill to sear them..Brush them well with garlic oil, remove from pan or grill and stand them leaning against each other in a metal pan, place the pan in a preheated oven set to the degree of doneness you prefer example 350-rare 400 m3d. 425 well leave 15 min remove add salt and pepper and serve on a heated plate...
thiswas served with a potato omelet, green salad appy's sometimes just depended on what was at hand...will give you the recipe for the omelet if you would like it.

kadesma

Petey,
try this I love it.
Get loin lamb chops with plenty of meat on them...About an inch thick..Bring the meat to room temp then put them on a HOT skilet or grill to sear them..Brush them well with garlic oil, remove from pan or grill and stand them leaning against each other in a metal pan, place the pan in a preheated oven set to the degree of doneness you prefer example 350-rare 400 m3d. 425 well leave 15 min remove add salt and pepper and serve on a heated plate...
thiswas served with a potato omelet, green salad appy's sometimes just depended on what was at hand...will give you the recipe for the omelet if you would like it.

kadesma

Thanks, I'll copy and paste it to my recipe folder if you dont mind. Definitely share the omelet recipe . One question, would it be ok to salt the meat before i cook it? I always season my meats with kosher salt before i cook it. I was never a fan of iodized table salt.

Thanks, I'll copy and paste it to my recipe folder if you dont mind. Definitely share the omelet recipe . One question, would it be ok to salt the meat before i cook it? I always season my meats with kosher salt before i cook it. I was never a fan of iodized table salt.
My feelings on salting, each of us has our own way of doing things, if you prefer to salt first, by all means do it..

kadesma

For the potatoe omelet, peel and boil 4 potatoes, then cut into cubes when they cool down. Fry them in about 4 Tab. of evoo in a skillet adding 2 chopped yellow onions 4-5 cloves of garlic chopped add some salt and pepper and if you want some zip throw in some red pepper flakes, watch them and cook til they are a nice golden brown and just tender...enjoy
kadesma

Hope you like artichokes. Put the chopped contents of 3 packages of frozen thawed artichokes in a bowl add I pack of chopped frozen spinach well drained, 1/2 c chopped fresh Italian parsley, 4 large cloves garlic crushed,1/4 c. of parmesan, 1/4 c. evoo,s pich or two of fresh grated nutmeg, salt and pepper 1/4 c. dry french bread crumbs and then add in 4-6 lightly beaten eggs, pour all this into an oiled baking dish and bake at 350 til eggs are set and top is lightly golden about 35-40 min...remove from oven and let come to room temp to get the full flavor..nice with a salad and a slice of buttered french bread...Enjoy
kadesma

Hope you like artichokes. Put the chopped contents of 3 packages of frozen thawed artichokes in a bowl add I pack of chopped frozen spinach well drained, 1/2 c chopped fresh Italian parsley, 4 large cloves garlic crushed,1/4 c. of parmesan, 1/4 c. evoo,s pich or two of fresh grated nutmeg, salt and pepper 1/4 c. dry french bread crumbs and then add in 4-6 lightly beaten eggs, pour all this into an oiled baking dish and bake at 350 til eggs are set and top is lightly golden about 35-40 min...remove from oven and let come to room temp to get the full flavor..nice with a salad and a slice of buttered french bread...Enjoy
kadesma

Wow! That sounds good? Is that a Basque dish? What is the mane of it? :online2lo

Wow! That sounds good? Is that a Basque dish? What is the mane of it? :online2lo
I don't know if it's a traditional thing, I just know my husbands Aunt use to make this often..There was never a birthday that this wasn't on the table..I don't think she had a name for it, it is just a fritata or torta as I call it..

kadesma

I don't know if it's a traditional thing, I just know my husbands Aunt use to make this often..There was never a birthday that this wasn't on the table..I don't think she had a name for it, it is just a fritata or torta as I call it..

kadesma

You know, 'Fritata' actually crossed my mind as i was reading the recipe.

I'll just save it as "Basque Fritata" until i do find a 'Basque' name for it ;)

Back
Top Bottom