"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Help!!

hey everyone, ok..i was dating a bosnian girl..nicest girl ever!!..but anyways...her mom used to cook, and omg was it ever good..i am looking for any help that would help me try to attemp to make pita...the cheese one!! its like a spiral of shell and its got cheese inside..please any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance

Old 10-17-2006, 12:14 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Biberche
First you have to find the appropriate dough. I am assuming that you son't know how to make it, so I would suggest you try various ethnic stores, Turkish, Arabic, Serbian, Albanian... They would carry phyllo dough that is not so flaky and thin as supermarket bought. For the filling you would need cottage cheese, some feta, 3-4 eggs, milk, a little bit of soda water, cream cheese, sour cream and salt. It should not be too runny. Spread some of the filling on one of the thick phyllo dough sheets, roll in a snake shape and then roll into a spiral. Put these spirals into a greased pan and bake at 200F for 45 minutes. It is not as good as the pie made with home-made dough sheets, but it is going to impress her and her family nontheless.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:20 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Talking Thank you

omg thank you lol...i will do my best and see how it goes..will post back when done making it :)
Old 09-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishKingZ View Post
hey everyone, ok..i was dating a bosnian girl..nicest girl ever!!..but anyways...her mom used to cook, and omg was it ever good..i am looking for any help that would help me try to attemp to make pita...the cheese one!! its like a spiral of shell and its got cheese inside..please any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance
Uhhhh, I wouldn't like to discourage you - but if she made an original Bosnian pie, then the doughleaves were probably home-made. That's the first thing I had to learn when I decided to catch my Bosnian boyfriend forever (who is my husband for years now). Seems like a unacheavable mastership (that's what I thought first time I saw my mother-in-law making them), but after a couple of tries, you can learn it. At least, it looks spectacular, and whenever I am preparing Bosnian cheese pie (pita od sira, sirnica, srednjača - and you can make it with or without eggs, the point is in a good white cheese), I like to do it in front of my astonished guests. Like a magician. :)

If you are ready to try, you will need an old tablecloth, flour, water, salt and oil only. Prepare some lukewarm water - let's say, 3/4 liter - add just a small pinch of salt and mix it with flour using the wooden mixing-spoon (flat laddle). I can't tell you precise amounts because it depends on the flour quality, but when you get something like very soft dough, stop adding flour and go on with mixing. It should be something between mixing and beating, and you will do it until you get thin membrane-like bubbles. (Ten minutes or even less when you are experienced.) Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and leave it for a while - 10 minutes or so. Next step: start adding just small amounts of flour, so that you can start kneading. When you manage to form more or less compact mass and to knead it well (but it must stay soft, take care), put the dough onto your working surface and knead it just a bit more. Oil a tray and put the dough on it, then flatten it with your hands - it should be 2 cm thick and of a rounded shape - grease its upper surface as well with your oiled hand, cover it with an old kitchen towel and leave it for 20 minutes at least. Sprinkle some flour over the spreaded tablecloth (the rougher its surface is, the better), put your "bannock" carefully on it, push your hands under it and start spreading. You shouldn't pull, you just "tickle" it from the center outwards, and you will see how it is turning to a delicate thin sheet. In the end it should be transparent, and as large as a large kitchen table. Edges will always stay thick; some people cut them off, and some like to leave them. I use to run with the knife all round the doughleaf. You have to sprinkle it with oil, to put the filling (keep on mind that you will get 6-8 rolls, so you will put filling in "stripes", leaving some space between). The final magic: You just pull up the hem of the tablecloths, and the doughleaf starts rolling itself. When the first "stripe" of filling is rolled-in, you just make a cut. Also, cut the roll in two, and then you make two spiral pitas. Put them into an oiled baking sheet; repeat the process untill you roll up all the dough. This way you should have 12-16 "snails".

One more secret: you will bake it in a middle temperature (around 200 C), but before it's finished (20 minutes after you put it into the oven), you will put 1/2 liter of water with some salt and a spoon of oil to boil. Spill it all over the pita. Put it back into the oven and bake it for 10 more minutes on 220 C, until it gets a golden-brown specks.

I know it sounds complicated... but when you get used, it's something you can do in no time... and impress anyone! :)
Old 09-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

i am serbian. so i know plenty of recipies from that regon. my mother and Grandmothers taught them to me. you will probably learn the best from them and they will teach you how the way he is used to eating it, b/c there are sooo many ways to make pasuj, burania, burek, fileveno paprikas, sarma and so on. have fun learning.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrachel View Post
i am serbian. so i know plenty of recipies from that regon. my mother and Grandmothers taught them to me. you will probably learn the best from them and they will teach you how the way he is used to eating it, b/c there are sooo many ways to make pasuj, burania, burek, fileveno paprikas, sarma and so on. have fun learning.
Oh, chefrachel, I love sarma. Some of my family background is Croatian. Do you have a good recipe for it?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I've just posted two different recipes for sarma at Ethnic foods - Balkan mix. Hope you'll find them useful. :)
Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

sorry i still did not get the recipe because i have to write it out while i am making it because i do aproximations. so i dont know the measurements. ill get on it though
Old 04-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hi Rhonda,
I too am an American girl married to a Bosnian man. Did you find any good receipes? I have several but I am also looking for a Bosnian Chocolate Torta (cake) receipe. Let me know if you are still looking for receipes.
Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4girl View Post
Hi all. I am new to this web site and I am really glad that I found it. Perhaps someone can help me with my problem. I am getting married to a man from Bosnia ( I am american ) and I would really like to learn how to make some of the food from his country. I could go to my future in-laws but his mother doesn't speak english that well and I don't speak Bosnian that well either so that is out and I want it to be a surprise. Do any of you have any recipies that you can share with me or maybe let me know where I could find them.

Thanks...
Clueless American Girl... Ronda :)
Old 04-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Sarma

Did you find a recipe for sarma, if not let me know, I have one that was my grandma's-- she was from Croaita. Pretty easy to make and delicious!!

Tracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Oh, chefrachel, I love sarma. Some of my family background is Croatian. Do you have a good recipe for it?

Tags
None