ISO California Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can use heavy duty foil and make it about 4 thicknesses. Then wrap plastic wrap around the foil. It should work in a pinch.

An interesting twist that anyone can also do is a "deconstructed" version. I first had this at David Paul's Restaurant in Maui, and I run my version of it as a special sometimes. It's cool to do at dinners, because it's fun to eat and it gives your guests a totally different experience. I like to use a long rectangular plate that can be divided into 4 sections, and the "California Roll" would be broken down into these different components:

1. Avodaco Salad with Miso, Wakame, and Yuzu
2. Dungeness Crab with a Masago-Wasabi Aioli
3. Pickled Cucumber Salad with Sesame and Toasted Goma
4. Sticky Rice "Musubi" and Pea Shoot Salad with a Ponzu Vinaigrette

You can do this with Spicy Ahi Sushi, or pretty much wherever your imagination can take you.

For our first attempt, I think it came out good, flavor wise. The Nori was a bit tough, but I have an electric stove, so I couldnt do the roasting over a gas flame. It was lots of fun though! I have a pic, and once I figure out how to post it I will. It's a newbie photo, first time, so it's not as pretty as the ones posted professionally obviously.

My husband and I remembered, after a tough-nori experience, that in a few sushi bars we've been to, the sushi chef toasted the nori in a little electric toaster oven. We'll definitely try it "next time".

Amber - I'm glad it turned out ok. I like Claire's idea of toasting in oven - even if it's a big oven and you spread them around. You can also buy toasted nori but even that I toast again.

Ironchef - that sounds great!

California Roll - Tampa Roll

Hi, Texasgirl, and everyone.

Here in town we have our own quirky variation on the CA roll. It's the "Tampa Roll" and I have suggested it to non-sushi friends as an introduction.

It's actually a non-sushi sushi? Can I say that? :huh:

It consists of breaded and fried grouper, (which we have plenty of around here). And you can either find it with avocados or scallions. It's DEEEELISH! So if the California roll is the only type you like, this would probably set well with you.

And, if you're feeling exotic, try a variation with fried gator tail.

By the way, as I'm always a fan of history, including food history, I figured I would throw in that the California Roll started in the 70's. Created by a chef who knew that many Americans couldn't stomach (pun intended) the idea of eating raw fish. It's original ingredients were crab meat, cucumbers and avocados.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables...."

Back
Top Bottom