ISO Chinese BBQ Pork Bun dim sum rec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AnnieKyung said:
Did you use regular flour, or did you buy it from an etnic store?

Hi Annie, I used regular AP flour and they came out fine, however, the recipe called for cake flour which is finer and should give you a lighter texture. It did point out that you want low-gluten, so if you know the brands your supermarket carries, do some research and buy the one with the lowest gluten content.

AnnieKyung said:
I have been introduced to steamed fluffy buns from vietnamese, called banh bao. I think it is very simulare to the chinese baozi. Both in china and in vietnam these buns are pure white. I have tried to make the buns with regular flour from the nearby store, but then my buns turns greyyellowish. I bought some specialflour for chinese steamed buns, in the etnc foodstore in town, and then my buns came out perfectly white.
My cuestion is; is it possible to get purewhite buns wiht recular flour? I make alot of food, and it is inconvenient having to go to the city to by special flour all the time :)

banh bao is the same, every dialect and region in china has a deviation of the name. Wikipedia has some interesting info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bao

Thanx I can now buy the right flour in the store nearby. The flour sells in packets labeled for making light cakes and desserts.

lulu said:
Lots of threads have been bringing this all time favourite to my mind. When I am in London we end up at The New World in Gerard Place (Soho) at least twice a month, usually for a few lunch time dim sum. According to many this place is home to the best dim sum in the world, lol! My husband spent a few months in China missing The New World!

This steamed BBQ Pork Bun has a slightly sweet white bready dough surrounding the bbq sweet and savory char sui pork. The same dough is used to surround lotus paste and also custard in other buns. I have also had chicken and spring onion in the same type of dumpling. As well as having them in various dim sum joints I have bought them frozen in Chinese supermarkets, which are good, but I would prefer to make them fresh at home.

Does anypne else know what I mean? And if so do you have a recipe for it? I am googling for it too, so if I find anything that looks right I'll post it here.

Hope you like the recipe below:

STEAMED BUNS WITH PORK FILLING
200gm roasted pork (Char Siew)
2 spring onions
25ml vegetable oil
2 tsps sugar
50ml oyster sauce
25ml light soya sauce
freshly ground black pepper
2 tsps cornstarch

Dough
100gm sugar
25gm fresh yeast
500gm all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
Makes 8 buns

Cut the pork into small dice and finely chop the spring onions. Heat the oil in a small pan, add the onions and saute for 1 minute, then add the pork, sugar, oyster sauce, soya sauce and freshly ground black pepper and cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix the cornstarch with a small quantity of cold water and stir into the mixture. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.

To make the dough, dissolve the sugar in 100ml of warm water, sprinkle in the yeast, mix well and allow to ferment for 5 minutes. Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and gradually add the fermented yeast. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly, knead firmly for 10 minutes then cover with a cloth and set aside for 45 minutes. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a roll, 50mm in diameter. Cut the roll into 25mm pieces and flatten out with the hands.

To cook, spoon a small quantity of the pork mixture onto a piece of dough and fold up the edges to form a bun, leaving a small opening at the top. Place the buns in a tightly sealed container and steam over boiling water for approximately 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom