"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Chinese BBQ Pork Bun dim sum rec

Lots of threads have been bringing this all time favourite to my mind. When I am in London we end up at The New World in Gerard Place (Soho) at least twice a month, usually for a few lunch time dim sum. According to many this place is home to the best dim sum in the world, lol! My husband spent a few months in China missing The New World!

This steamed BBQ Pork Bun has a slightly sweet white bready dough surrounding the bbq sweet and savory char sui pork. The same dough is used to surround lotus paste and also custard in other buns. I have also had chicken and spring onion in the same type of dumpling. As well as having them in various dim sum joints I have bought them frozen in Chinese supermarkets, which are good, but I would prefer to make them fresh at home.

Does anypne else know what I mean? And if so do you have a recipe for it? I am googling for it too, so if I find anything that looks right I'll post it here.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Cook

i think what you said is 包子 (bao1 zi5) ,maybe you should called it Bun.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Head Chef

THAT IS THEM! Thank you Riverli! Do you have a recipe for them?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Senior Cook

to prepare this may take some time.i can find how to cook this in chinese .but translate it may spend too much time.i will translate this in the future.because this is truly well taste. i like the good ones too. i can buy some good ones in china now. there are many in my place .but i hear what many foreigners eating in oversea is not so well. yes ,you can image,the people in oversea maybe not can cook this bun well.

i know the good ones taste ,but i don't know the taste oversea is. is it the same good as it in homeland?

i can buy fresh ones.so i don't know the frozen ones taste.i will buy some taste.after i taste the frozen ones ,i can tell if it is good or not.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Cook

dear lulu,yes i can provide your the method and recipe.but it is not easy. i must translate the chinese in english. i will be busy the next 2 days. if you can't googling it .i will do this work as soon as posible.but you must wait for some days.i am sorry. but i will do my best.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Head Chef

Lulu, it's called siopao in Fookien Chinese, meaning hot bun. I'm sure there are different names for this depending on which Chinese dialect the word was based on.

There are many variations of siopaos. Some have multiple ingredients like chinese sausage, salted duck eggyolk, chicken meat, roasted pork, etc. Some have steamed ground up pork fillling. Some have sweet paste in them.

I honestly don't hear about people making siopao at home because where I'm from it is easily available, cheap, and guaranteed to be much better than home-made. This last reason is because I've been told the bun is tricky and quite back-breaking to do (because of all the kneading involved.)

Making the filling is the easy part. But the texture and taste of the bun is the first thing Chinese look for in a good siopao. If the filling is good but the bun is blah, the siopao is judged to be no good.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Head Chef

Riverli I am sure I'll come with it on google....if I post it you can check to see that you think its good for me! That will be much easier than translating! ;)
Old 09-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks for the name, Chopstix, Google is complying more readily now!

Yes, I imagine the dough is hard to knead. The texture is so even and light. But I keep my husband on hand for stuff like that.

first ever posted link...hope it works.

I would love to try some different fillings, but I'll settle into getting good at dough and a basis one.

Filling ideas would be gratefully received at any time.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
My husband spent a few months in China missing The New World!
To be fair, dim sum is more of a Hong Kong speciality.

Other search terms: Bau, baozi, pau, cha siu pau, char sio pao.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:48 AM   #10
Head Chef

He was in Hong Kong for a month too, same trip! Thanks for the other search terms. I am finding quite a few but I'm going to go through them slowly try and separate wheat from chaff...

Tags
None