ISO - Chinese Brown Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annageckos

Assistant Cook
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I love the brown sauce that comes with most chinese takeout food, the sauce that comes with things like beef and broccoli. I've been looking around to try and find out what it is and how to make it. Does anyone know?

Looks similar, but I'm pretty sure I tried something like that years ago and it just didn't taste the same. I'll give it another shot. Is that the name of the sauce, just chinese brown sauce. I was never sure what it was called.

To this day, I have yet to find a Brown sauce or Hot and sour soup recipe that has tasted like what Ive gotten at the chinese restaurants ( even the vegan restaurants). Hopefully Ill find something close before I croak.

To this day, I have yet to find a Brown sauce or Hot and sour soup recipe that has tasted like what Ive gotten at the chinese restaurants ( even the vegan restaurants). Hopefully Ill find something close before I croak.

Brown sauce (mother sauce) is the bane of my vegetarian existence! I too have seen this on dishes marked as vegetarian but this sauce almost always has oyster sauce in it and sometimes hoisin as well. Not vegetarian products.

That said - this is a good recipe and video. Tasty stuff - just not vegetarian ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsHAix_kBrg

open the comments to see the recipe.

Brown sauce (mother sauce) is the bane of my vegetarian existence! I too have seen this on dishes marked as vegetarian but this sauce almost always has oyster sauce in it and sometimes hoisin as well. Not vegetarian products.

Chinese brown sauce is a "mother" in that cuisine but it's not a classic mother. Like Joan Crawford... ;-)

Hoisin sauce is vegetarian, btw

With the exception of hot and sour soup, there is nothing I make at home that has that Chinese restaurant taste. And I'm a pretty good cook.

I don't think it's necessarily the sauce. Sauces are pretty simple. It's the screaming hot, deeply seasoned wok. "WOK HEI"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom