"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO chorizo recipe

Hubby and I are into making sausages lately. We've pretty much perfected (IMHO ...) the breakfast sausages, a plain "Italian" sausage, and a classic "Greek" sausage ... but I still think back to that hot, red, greasy thing I used to buy in California and my mouth waters!

Anybody else making sausages out there who'd have an authentic recipe?

Old 06-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #2
Head Chef

I have a chorizo recipe somewhere on paper. I'd have to dig it up and type it up. Pls allow me some time. Meanwhile, I'm wondering, do you add any chemicals to your sausages? I myself have never made sausages, but would like to try if there's a recipe without chemicals and with very little fat...

Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Hi Chopstix -- love that name ;-)

Thanks for your reply. You can have all the time you wish, of course. Just be thrilled to get a good recipe.

No, we don't put any chemicals in the sausages. I think that's half the reason we make them -- to control what goes in them (the other half's just for the fun of it!). If you're using them straight away and/or freezing them, they don't need any chemicals.

As for fat, that's another story. You can add as much or as little as you like, of course, but from what I've learned, a good sausage needs about 30% fat to be moist and tender. We've made them with less and they did have a rather dry texture. We very much prefer the more moist version, so our way of dealing with the whole issue is to make them as we like them but to try not to eat them very often ...

Sausage-making is really pretty easy and very satisfying. You definitely must give it a try!

Thanks again,
Ayrton
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Master Chef

I've had chorizo made different ways ... from relatively lean, mild and pleasurably seasoned to dripping grease and so hot (from peppers) you couldn't pick then up with a pair of tongs wearing an asbestos glove!

Here are some recipe sources you might explore.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Head Chef

Hi Ayrton,

Here you go. I think Prague and Acord are chemical powders to prevent botulism. You'll need them if you're hanging the sausages to dry for 3 days. Otherwise, maybe you can just adapt the recipes and do what you normally do -- fresh or frozen. Good luck!

I'm thinking of making my own sausages now... but first I have to figure out where to buy casings here...

Chopstix

Spanish Chorizo de Bilbao

Version 1:

kg ground beef
kg ground pork
2 T salt
1 T sugar
1 tsp Prague powder
2 T ground black pepper
2 T chopped garlic
3 T Spanish paprika
1 t smoke-flavored paprika
Casing

Version 2:

1 kg ground pork
1 kg ground beef
1 T black pepper
400 g Pork back fat (small cubes)
2 t salt
cup Spanish paprika
1 t minced fresh garlic
1 tsp oregano
6 T garlic, sliced, chopped and toasted
1 T sugar
1 T accord
3 T fried onion
1 T glucose
t cayenne

Procedure:

Mix all ingredients thoroughly by hand. Stuff inside casing and hang dry for 3 days before using.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
Head Chef

That looks like a great Spanish chorizo recipe, Chopstix. Here is a link to a Mexican chorizo recipe that I have used and it is pretty good. http://www.premiersystems.com/recipe...n/chorizo.html
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Master Chef

"Chorizo de Bilbao" are air dried sausages - and therefore would need a "preservative".

Prague powder is "curing salt" - not to be confused with canning salt. It consists of 93.75% table salt and 6.25% sodium nitrate.

I was not able to find an answer for the "accord" used in the second recipe - however I feel sure it is another form of sodium nitrate or some similar preservative.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Cook

chorizo is excellent with eggs, i also use it to stuff yellow squash
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
That looks like a great Spanish chorizo recipe, Chopstix. Here is a link to a Mexican chorizo recipe that I have used and it is pretty good. http://www.premiersystems.com/recipe...n/chorizo.html
This looks fantastic, Shunka! I've made chorizo and chourico and linguica before, always stuffing into casings. But I have less time these days, so I think I'll grind up a batch and form them into patties, or maybe keep some just loose for recipes, and Foodsaver them.

Thanks!

Lee
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Ayrton
I can respect the idea that you can control what goes into your sausage but the other side is it limits the style of sausages you can make and you how you can handle cooking it to get the best product.

Many sausages get smoke at low temp for long periods of time or are air dried and without TenderQuick or prague powder as example the texture of the finished product is just not right.

Curing agents used correctly kept you healthy and allows you to enjoy some great treats.
Jim

Tags
None