"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
It's a thick turnover -- baked pastry filled with meat, onions, potatoes, etc. Very good stuff if made well. I have a recipe someplace...

Oh, and it is pastie, pronounced just like the things stripper used to wear.
Actually, no .. it is NOT pronounced the same ... it is pastie (pronounced like past-tense). And they are FABULOUS. We used to make them 100 at a time in my parents' restaurant as a kid. These are huge in Michigan's Upper Peninsula because of the mining history. Ours were even highlighted once in the Detroit Free Press as a travel favorite (which was a big fat hairy deal at the time).

Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I should have read all the replies before I chimed in (sorry). We never precooked the meat. We diced carrots, onions, potatoes and ground our own beef, seasoned well with salt, pepper, garlic and parsley, and wrapped in homemade pastry dough rounds, folded over, sealed with the pastry wheel and crimped the edges. We baked them on parchment lined full sheet pans in the pizza oven, which was always fired at a gazillion degrees. When I make them at home, I bake for an hour at 350 - 375 range on a stone. The braid explanation makes sense, but I'm not sure that tradition has followed. The juices from the meat tend to soak up in the crimped edges and that's my favorite part. Nothing smells as good as pasties in the oven (think bread or pie) ... it's to die for! I got a kick out of the IL post saying the debate was whether to add turnips or not. In Michigan, the big question is whether to include rutabagies (sp?).

Gravy or sauce (such as would be with a stew-like filling) is served on the side, and is very controversial, as miners certainly wouldn't have had a thermos of gravy handy. Most purists like ketchup or butter (or both). Me, I could eat all three, lol.

This thread brings me home, so I am off to make pasties!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Purists use good malt vinegar!

Vince
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
Actually, no .. it is NOT pronounced the same ... it is pastie (pronounced like past-tense)....
Live and learn. The only place I've had them in this area called them paste-ees. Of course, they also serve Guinness ice cold.

Incidently, according to Wikipedia, a pastie is not the same as a Cornish pasty. The former post claims that a pastie is battered and deep fried and rarely seen outside Northern Ireland. The latter has a lot of information about and recipes for pastys, which it says are sometimes called pasties in the U.S. These seem to be more what we're talking about here. Whatever, they're good!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by compaddict View Post
Purists use good malt vinegar!

Vince
That does sound like an interesting complement to a pasty, although I never ever had a single request for it. I can't wait to try that!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

We just eat them straight or maybe with a side of chips (translate to fries if you are from over the pond)

One of my cooking classes makes pasties with a pork & apple filling.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
That does sound like an interesting complement to a pasty, although I never ever had a single request for it. I can't wait to try that!
I grew up in Grass Valley Ca. When I was in high school one of the local pasty makers (King Richards) would send me to the competition to bring them samples.

Vince
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
We just eat them straight or maybe with a side of chips (translate to fries if you are from over the pond)

One of my cooking classes makes pasties with a pork & apple filling.
*gasp* pork and apple ... brilliant! Can I ask ... what kind of pork (shredded, ground, fine dice, etc.)? What else was in the filling, onion?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef

We use sausagemeat and mix it with grated apple, sage, ginger, cumin and ground coriander. Fairly basic to give them the idea of how to make pasties. The last ones were on Thursday and turned out well.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Thank you miniman, I cannot wait to try this variation!

Tags
None