"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
A tablespoon is a lot of chile powder.
But it's not chile powder - it's chili powder. So 1 TBS isn't so bad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

That makes sense.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Thanks guys, I may try this tonight! If not, tomorrow definately. Ill let you know how it goes.

Also, whats the difference between Cumin and Corriander? Tumeric is also something that intrigues me. These are common spices to many dishes and I feel so in the dark, but I am trying to expand my horizons.

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey

Also, whats the difference between Cumin and Corriander?
That is like asking what the difference is between salt and pepper. Cumin and Coriander both start with C. That is where the similarities end.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Ok so heres all I know about curry.

It is a mixture of spices, namely, Cumin, Coriander, Pepper, Heat (as in chili, chile, red pepper etc) and maybe mustard powder or something.

Corriander is essentially Cilantro but dryer and lacking a plant-y taste.

Cumin is an earthy flavor associated with curry?

Correct or add where Im misguided.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey
Ok so heres all I know about curry.

It is a mixture of spices, namely, Cumin, Coriander, Pepper, Heat (as in chili, chile, red pepper etc) and maybe mustard powder or something.

Corriander is essentially Cilantro but dryer and lacking a plant-y taste.

Cumin is an earthy flavor associated with curry?

Correct or add where Im misguided.

Yes, curry is a mixture of the spices you mentioned and can have many others in there as well, depending on what region your curry dish comes from. It can have fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, ginger, fenugreek, mace, mustard seeds, cardamom, red pepper flakes...

The yellow you see in the curry is more than likely turmeric versus mustard powder.

Coriander is the dried seed of the cilantro plant (at least to us, here in the US). To me anyway, coriander can have almost a lime type flavor.

Cumin is an earthy flavor. It can certainly be associated with curry but the first thing that comes to mind is Mexican food.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Tumeric is more for color. It doesn't do very much in terms of flavor, that is why it is sometimes referred to as "poor man's saffron".
Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Tumeric is more for color. It doesn't do very much in terms of flavor, that is why it is sometimes referred to as "poor man's saffron".
True enough. But Tumeric does have a distinct flavor. It is a great addition to veal or poulty based veloute's, adding both color and flavor. The flavor is very subtle, like properly used garlic. You don't really taste it, but it enhances the other flavors. It is also very good when mixed into rice before boiling. It adds a wonderful color, whether you are making a pilaf, fluffy rice, or a risotto.

One thing I did frequently, and still do sometimes, is to open the container of whatever spices/herbs/flavoings I wish to experiment with, and smell them. Then I play with those aromas in my head to see if they work together. This has given me an intuitive sense for putting flavors together and coming out with a dish that tastes the way I want it to taste. Of course, it takes time and experience, and a few mistakes along the way, to develop that talent. But in time, you will find it invaluable.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
Master Chef

"Chile" vs. "Chili"

I hate to burst everyone's "chile/chili" bubble, but "Chile" is the name of the country. "Chili" is the pepper. There is no "chile" in "chili" powder (unless, perhaps the "chile" was grown in "Chile" - lol!). If "chile" is listed as an ingredient in "chili" powder it's a misspelling, & probably means ground cayenne pepper.

Chili powders come in various degrees of heat & can contain any number of different ingredients (oregano, paprika, garlic powder, ground red peppers - sweet &/or hot), while ground cayenne pepper is just that - pure ground hot cayenne pepper. Two completely different animals & not interchangeable.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I hate to contradict you, Breezy, but chile is the pepper and chili is the stew-type dish made with, I guess (I don't like it so I don't make it), ground beef, beans, tomatoes, garlic, onions and seasonings, including chile peppers and maybe chili powder, which is as you described. At least, that's my understanding

Chile Pepper Magazine

Tags
None