"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO Curry/Corriander help

A friend and I were hanging out the other night and we both consider ourselves pretty decent cooks or whatnot, and we were talking about dishes we like and our favorite ingredients. I was talking about my forays into asian cooking and my friend was into indian at the time, and mentioned curry and coriander which I dont even have right now. I know a sin! right?

Can you help me to better understand these 2 spices/ingrediants and perhaps offer a simple starter dish I should try to get better aquainted?

TIA everyone!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Curry is a mixture of spices and herbs, a Masala (meaning mix or powder).

corriander is singular, either the Leaf (best fresh) or the seeds (often roasted and then crushed).

it`s like comparing apples and oranges really.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Sous Chef

shows ya how much I know.

I kinda figured one of them was a mix I think my friend mentioned it. I suppose my first experiment should be a curry dish. Then a coriander dish, then maybe trying to use them both?

I really never have tried curry, I suppose it would be good with noodles or beef or beef and noodles?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Master Chef

Here in the U.S., Coriander is the seed while Cilantro is the leafy part of the same plant. Though they have similar flavors, they aren't exactly the same. Cilantro has the Coriander flavor, but with a substantial cloraphil flavor. It's like mixing corianer with parsley.

Both Coriander and Cilantro are used in a host of Mexiacan foods, as well as many Asian dishes. Coriander and Cumin are used in Chili, Tacos, fajitas, carne asada, etc. But they can also be used to season most poultry and are often combined with sage, thyme, and sometimes with oregano. The flavor is almost smokey, with a touch of sweetness, and tastes of the Earth.

Curry is used in many sauces, and to enhance gravies, pork, beef, etc.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

There are a countless number of currys. They range in heat levels from sweet to fiery hot as well as all kinds of flavors.

Indian currys are very different from Thai currys.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
a good Starter Indian Curry is Madras.
it`s a nice flavour and light to medium heat in taste/spice.

there`s also Dry or "Wet" curries too, but as long as the curry powder is "cooked out" either is good.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chicken Curry

BBQ Mikey - this is a favorite chicken curry that would be a good one to make the first time.

Curry Chicken with Coconut Milk

1 chicken, cut into chunks
1 TBS chili powder
2 TBS curry powder
1 TBS paprika
1 tsp. cumin
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 white onions, chopped
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
˝ cup cilantro, chopped
2 TBS oil
1 bay leaf
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 C coconut milk
3 C water
Salt and pepper to taste

**Spiced Rice

Let me start out first thing by saying I added a lot more curry, cumin, and cilantro by the time I had finished cooking this dish – I also garnished after plating with more fresh cilantro. I left out the chili powder but I’m sure it would be good – I was just afraid that it would have a “chili” taste, which I did not want.

Heat oil in big pot and sauté onion and garlic until onion is slightly caramelized. The onion gets nice and sweet when you let it brown a little. This should take about 5-7 minutes.

Add chicken chunks and continue cooking for about 3 minutes. Add all remaining spices and stir for a few minutes. Let this mixture cook until chicken is tender. Add the rest of the ingredients; adjust any seasonings necessary (this is where I always add more cilantro, curry, and cumin).

For each plate I pack the spiced rice (instructions below) in a 1 cup timbale then place upside down in middle of plate and then spoon curry chicken around the rice. You can use an ice cream scoop if necessary.

**Spiced Rice

Caramelize roughly chopped onions in a bit of butter. Once tender and browned add rice and brown. Once rice is beginning to brown add appropriate amount of chicken stock, about 5 – 10 whole cloves, a couple sticks (or 3 or 4 depending on strength) of Mexican cinnamon (I say Mexican because it is less expensive) and salt. Cook until done. Remove cloves and cinnamon. It helps to keep count of how many whole cloves you add

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

kitchenelf:

What if the chili powder was chile powder? that would add heat without the chili taste
Old 08-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I never thought of that Andy M. Chile powder is an ingredient of chili powder. I would assume though that the term "ground red pepper" or "cayenne" would have been used if that is what they wanted you to use. Just my thought on it anyway

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a bag of chile powder I bought at the local Indian grocery. No hint of what kind of peppers are in it but it adds some heat. A tablespoon is a lot of chile powder.

Tags
None