"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
ISO - Curry Ideas

I dont know why, but one has an urge for a curry this weekend. I may cheat a little and use some Pataks paste - I do like Pataks and they have some great recipes on their website.

I made a Mughlai chicken with pilaff not so long back (Nigella Lawson recipe), but this time I want a darker meaty tomatoey curry - maybe rogan josh or jalfrezi with lamb.

What is your favourite curry or indeed curry chef? I like Madhur Jaffrey but her book uses tons of oil - I know traditional but too much oil for me. I like Anjum Anand as she approaches indian food with a more fresh healthy take on it. (hello I feel a book spree coming up).

Any curry ideas for me, I am do like things quite hot (like Harry) but not silly hot.

__________________

__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
I love Titli

Quinelles this is my fav ruby. I like things spicy but Tits recipes are a bit on the hot side so you may want to reduce the chili's.
__________________

__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I dont know why, but one has an urge for a curry this weekend. I may cheat a little and use some Pataks paste - I do like Pataks and they have some great recipes on their website.

I made a Mughlai chicken with pilaff not so long back (Nigella Lawson recipe), but this time I want a darker meaty tomatoey curry - maybe rogan josh or jalfrezi with lamb.

What is your favourite curry or indeed curry chef? I like Madhur Jaffrey but her book uses tons of oil - I know traditional but too much oil for me. I like Anjum Anand as she approaches indian food with a more fresh healthy take on it. (hello I feel a book spree coming up).

Any curry ideas for me, I am do like things quite hot (like Harry) but not silly hot.
pataks phal cook in sauce,says it's extra hot on the label but it's not crazeeeeeeeeeeeeee hot,just hot.wonderful using skinless/bone in chicken thighs.do you prefer bone in or boneless gravey?& as for urges,no reasonable urge should ever be resisted!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
OOH I havent seen Pataks phal Harry,but isnt that a super hot one???

I must say I have an urge for bone in.
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
OOH I havent seen Pataks phal Harry,but isnt that a super hot one???

I must say I have an urge for bone in.
morrisons & tesco both stock it gravy,phal is really just a vindaloo with a few(well,ermm loads more)chillies.but like most prepared sauces/meals it says extra hot on the label but it's actually just hot....i'm sure you can handle the heat queenie
so it's bone in eh? is that skin on or skinless?!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
How do I infuse curry powder into chicken pieces ready to fry and add to rice. I usually just sprinkle it on the small cut up chicken pieces, then fry it lightly. Should I sprinkle the curry powder on the small cut up chicken pieces and let it set in the fridge? I want more curry flavor in the chicken.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
How do I infuse curry powder into chicken pieces ready to fry and add to rice. I usually just sprinkle it on the small cut up chicken pieces, then fry it lightly. Should I sprinkle the curry powder on the small cut up chicken pieces and let it set in the fridge? I want more curry flavor in the chicken.
Use a curry paste instead of the powder. The flavour is stronger and fresher.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Use a curry paste instead of the powder. The flavour is stronger and fresher.
Not seen curry paste in stores, I could probably make my own? Not the curry powder, but the paste.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Not seen curry paste in stores, I could probably make my own? Not the curry powder, but the paste.
There must be an Asian Grocer semi-close to you in SoCal. They will have the curry paste.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Not seen curry paste in stores, I could probably make my own? Not the curry powder, but the paste.
Curry pastes are usually in the ethnic section of the supermarket.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curry

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.