ISO - Curry Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
I dont know why, but one has an urge for a curry this weekend. I may cheat a little and use some Pataks paste - I do like Pataks and they have some great recipes on their website.

I made a Mughlai chicken with pilaff not so long back (Nigella Lawson recipe), but this time I want a darker meaty tomatoey curry - maybe rogan josh or jalfrezi with lamb.

What is your favourite curry or indeed curry chef? I like Madhur Jaffrey but her book uses tons of oil - I know traditional but too much oil for me. I like Anjum Anand as she approaches indian food with a more fresh healthy take on it. (hello I feel a book spree coming up).

Any curry ideas for me, I am do like things quite hot (like Harry) but not silly hot. :yum:

I dont know why, but one has an urge for a curry this weekend. I may cheat a little and use some Pataks paste - I do like Pataks and they have some great recipes on their website.

I made a Mughlai chicken with pilaff not so long back (Nigella Lawson recipe), but this time I want a darker meaty tomatoey curry - maybe rogan josh or jalfrezi with lamb.

What is your favourite curry or indeed curry chef? I like Madhur Jaffrey but her book uses tons of oil - I know traditional but too much oil for me. I like Anjum Anand as she approaches indian food with a more fresh healthy take on it. (hello I feel a book spree coming up).

Any curry ideas for me, I am do like things quite hot (like Harry) but not silly hot. :yum:
pataks phal cook in sauce,says it's extra hot on the label but it's not crazeeeeeeeeeeeeee hot,just hot.wonderful using skinless/bone in chicken thighs.do you prefer bone in or boneless gravey?& as for urges,no reasonable urge should ever be resisted;)!

OOH I havent seen Pataks phal Harry,but isnt that a super hot one???

I must say I have an urge for bone in.
morrisons & tesco both stock it gravy,phal is really just a vindaloo with a few(well,ermm loads more)chillies.but like most prepared sauces/meals it says extra hot on the label but it's actually just hot....i'm sure you can handle the heat queenie;)
so it's bone in eh? is that skin on or skinless?!:ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

How do I infuse curry powder into chicken pieces ready to fry and add to rice. I usually just sprinkle it on the small cut up chicken pieces, then fry it lightly. Should I sprinkle the curry powder on the small cut up chicken pieces and let it set in the fridge? I want more curry flavor in the chicken.

How do I infuse curry powder into chicken pieces ready to fry and add to rice. I usually just sprinkle it on the small cut up chicken pieces, then fry it lightly. Should I sprinkle the curry powder on the small cut up chicken pieces and let it set in the fridge? I want more curry flavor in the chicken.
Use a curry paste instead of the powder. The flavour is stronger and fresher.

Not seen curry paste in stores, I could probably make my own? Not the curry powder, but the paste.
I'm not sure which piece of the meat you are infusing, but if the skin is on, make a paste with the curry powder and some butter.Lift the skin and rub some of the "paste" between the skin and the meat. You can also "prick" the meat and rub the paste you've made into it. I get my curry powder from a friend (married to a guy from India). Good curry powder is definitely where you want to start. There a lots of good recipes on line for curry powder. I just don't make my own because my friend wants farm fresh eggs and since I wouldn't feel right about charging her, I take home-ground curry powder in exchange.

Thanks. BTW, I was expecting to see garlic paste in small container last time I went shopping. At the chilled vegetable area, I found tubes of garlic paste and bought one. Never seen that before, nor curry paste. Curry paste wasn't there at that section, but I'll look for it on the other isles.

This is my cheats version of New Potato Curry.
Parr boil some small skin on new pots.
In a bowl mix a dollop of curry paste into a pot of Greek yogurt, gently prick your hot pots all over and drop in the yog mix, cling film and leave in the fridge for 8 hrs.

Put some veg oil in a wok and fry a cup of pureed onion, half a cup of pureed garlic and a quarter cup of pureed ginger till the oil starts to split from the puree. turn the heat down add the pot/yog and cook till pots are done and the sauce has reduced.Serve with paratha's.
Paratha - YouTube

The only thing I can think of is to cut slits into the chicken and rub the powder in.

I'm ethnic ;) so I am sure I can dig out a recipe for you to make a good curry paste from scratch, will have a look for you.

Gravy Queen,

SWAGAT, WELCOME Gravy Queen,

A Chef by the name of Madhuri Jaffrey, a member of the JAMES BEARD ORG, and who is also very popular in the UK, and quite talented in Bollywood, has published quite a number of amazing recipes to add to her repertoire.

We truly enjoy Indian, and go to a stunner Indian owned Restaurant called SWAGAT here in Madrid, and the owner Shabani is an absolute marvel.

I flip for VINDALOO chicken and TANDOORI SHRIMP
I hope this assists ...

Great post, thanks,
Margi,

Gravy Queen,

SWAGAT, WELCOME Gravy Queen,

A Chef by the name of Madhuri Jaffrey, a member of the JAMES BEARD ORG, and who is also very popular in the UK, and quite talented in Bollywood, has published quite a number of amazing recipes to add to her repertoire.

We truly enjoy Indian, and go to a stunner Indian owned Restaurant called SWAGAT here in Madrid, and the owner Shabani is an absolute marvel.

I flip for VINDALOO chicken and TANDOORI SHRIMP
I hope this assists ...

Great post, thanks,
Margi,
Margi I worked 40 yrs ago for one of our family firms Dein Bros who were the biggest importers of Asian food ingredients in Europe.I was taught to cook for fun by the head chef of one of the first Indian Restaurants in the UK VEERASWAMY - home
M Jaffrey is a very talented home style cook which is entirely different to restaurant style Indian cooking. Her tradition meat dishes take to long, no one is going to wait 2 hrs in a restaurant for a lamb korma so batch cooking was invented by Indian chefs in the UK.
This is a typical restaurant gravy base Restaurant-Style Curry - YouTube
Titli then adds fried chicken, in a restaurant they would cook the various meat in different spiced stocks till tender so before service they have mounds of cold cooked cubed lamb,beef,pork and chicken.
The taste of the batch cooked dish is far fresher because the herbs and spices have cook for a much shorter time.

Thanks. BTW, I was expecting to see garlic paste in small container last time I went shopping. At the chilled vegetable area, I found tubes of garlic paste and bought one. Never seen that before, nor curry paste. Curry paste wasn't there at that section, but I'll look for it on the other isles.
It's usually in the ethnic food aisle. Patak's is the most popular brand.

I know others like it but, personally, I can't abide curry paste from a jar. As Bolas mentions above, for quick meals during the week, what I prefer to do is make a base sauce that you can freeze or refrigerate. Then you add whatever you like to it - lamb, chicken, or even just veggies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom