ISO dim sum wrappers ideas/recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabechef

Assistant Cook
Recently had dim sum in Ottawa Canada. They served an opaque wrapper stuffed with a single large shrimp. The wrapper was staemed and very delicate. Do you know how it is made. Any other dim sum ideas are needed as well.

When I make Dim Sum I use commercial Dim Sum or Wonton wrappers, which most of the supermarkets around here carry in their produce section &/or wherever they have their tofu products.

I fill them & steam them (set on lettuce or cabbage leaves to prevent sticking) in a bamboo steamer set over some boiling water in a wok. It only takes about 15 minutes or so & they're done.

Once steamed, they take on that delicate "opaque" appearance. You can fill them with virtually anything, & they're lots of fun to both make & eat. In addition, after steaming & cooling you can also quickly pan fry them to make "potstickers", or add them at the last minute to garnish Asian soups. Very versatile little devils.

If you're lucky enough to live near an Asian grocery store, you can also find large, rice-flour wrappers. Just soak in water until they're pliable, fill, roll, cut, and enjoy.

If the appearance was opaque, I would go with the rice wrappers, already mentioned. The won ton wrappers are more doughy/heavier, imo. You can find the spring roll wrappers in large market near the won ton wrappers.

Here is a short description:

Spring Roll - Glossary - Hormel Foods=

For won ton wrappers - dumplings, if you don't have a bamboo steamer, I steam mine in a wire basket (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray) over a dutch oven with water on the bottom.

Here is a short description of dim sum:

Dim Sum - Glossary - Hormel Foods

Last edited:
Okay, go out and find your wonton wrappers.

Now, once you have the wrappers, here's some recipes. Have a ball!

POT STICKERS

1 package won-ton wrappers
1/2 pound ground pork, turkey or beef, OR chopped chicken, fish, shrimp, or tofu
3 scallions, sliced on the bias
1/2 head napa cabbage or bok choy, chopped
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp chopped water chestnut or bamboo shoots or bean sprouts, or any combination therof
2 Tbs soy sauce Use light soy sauce for chicken or shrimp
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 5 Tbs rice wine, dry white wine, or sherry
peanut oil for frying (optional)
3 cups chicken stock

Brown ground pork, beef, or turkey until dry and crumbly, or cook the chopped chicken, fish shrimp, or tofu in frying pan or wok. Place in bowl with chopped cabbage, scallion, ginger, water chestnut, soy sauce, egg white, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper, cornstarch and wine. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place 1 Tbs of filling on each won-ton wrapper and fold into triangle, or if you want be fancy, fold corners toward middle Pinch edges together tightly, and use fork tines to seal. Heat two inches peanut oil in frying pan or pot, put dumpling in hot oil seam side up, and cook until browned lightly on bottom. Take pan off heat and slowly add chicken stock to cover. Place back on heat and poach until wonton wrapper are almost transparent, then remove to paper towels to drain. For dim sum, skip the peanut oil and frying. Serve with dipping sauces below.

DIPPING SAUCES

1 Tbs chili oil
1 tsp white vinegar
1 Tbs soy sauce
Mix together in bowl and serve

4 tbs Soy sauce
2 tbs Peanut butter
1 tbs Honey
2 tsp White vinegar
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Sesame oil
1/8 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp Pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in bowl until combine, this may take long time, and serve

2 cup soy sauce
2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice wine
3/4 tsp minced garlic

Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minute. Add juice and zest of 1 lemon. Cool and serve.

1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 tbs sugar
salt to taste
1 tbs cornstarch dissolve in 2 tbs water
Combine all ingredients except corn starch mixture in pan and bring to boil. Add cornstarch mixture, return to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until desired thickness. Cool and serve.

When I have the wrappers I make a simple filling of ground turkey, garlic, and onions, S&P. The reason I keep it so simple is that I can then use them is both Asian and European dishes, putting the spice in the dipping sauce or soup. They can be fried, steamed or boiled in stock for soup and can be either Asian or European. Deep fry and serve with a peanut dipping sauce, or soy & vinegar & hot peppers. Make pot stickers. Saute in butter and some chopped fresh herbs, serve with a dolop of sour cream. Take your favorite soup stock and boil them in it. Pour your favorite tomato sauce over them. The wrappers come in large amounts, and there are only two of us, so I make them up, put them on a piece of wax paper, freeze. Once frozen, into a baggie, then they are there to take out a handful at a time.

Back
Top Bottom