"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO : Gumbo recipe

I want to cook gumbo this weekend. I have a large burner and pot. I will be cooking at a tailgate. I need a good simple recipe. Thanks for the help

Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Check this site : http://www.jfolse.com/newfindrecipe.htm

this is Chef John Folse's site, he is an authority on Louisiana cuisine, be it cajun or creole, he's got recipes on it... there are many different kinds of gumbo, he covers them all

Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I like John Folse, we used to get his cooking on PBS but I haven't been able to get it lately. I wish he had a show on the Food TV Network

later
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Take a look at this thread which talks a lot about gumbo and rouxs, it was being discussed here last week:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/browning-meat-and-roux-color-flavors-27551.html?highlight=gumbo
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Gumbo is my next challenge. I've been told that it's easy, but I really want to get it right.. Thanks for asking the question. I can't wait to try it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Gumbo is fun and great tasting. Making Gumbo at home and making it at a tailgate in the parking lot are two greatly different things.

First of all the essense of gumbo is the roux. If you can make a great roux standing in a parking lot, possibly under rain or cold conditions, then you should have no problem. If you use "fake" roux, as in frozen or pre-made, or heaven forbid- packaged- then the rest of the ingredients should make no difference whatsoever. Just have lots of beer and no one will notice.

If you want to make good gumbo in either the kitchen or the parking lot- read K-Paul's book, Louisiana Cooking...

Go Gators...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Please do a search here on the forum for other relevant posts, I have run across numerous posts on gumbo throughout my short time here and all posts have something to offer
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc
Gumbo is my next challenge. I've been told that it's easy, but I really want to get it right.. Thanks for asking the question. I can't wait to try it.
Easy? I don't know about that. Its one of those dishes i had problems with when i first started trying to cook it. SO you ask what is so hard about it? Getting the roux right if your cooking the type of gumbo that calls for a dark roux (which is the type i make since i don't like seafood). The distinction between dark and burned roux is very hard to master at first. I have finally mastered it but it took me some time and waisted money before i could master it. Its nothing that someone can teach you to do. It requires trial and error.

ncage

Tags
None