ISO Hawaiian food source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
It is almost too late, but not quite. I am having a Hawaiian brunch, and looking for food sources for the luaus (the real deal; community and family luaus we were part of when we lived there) we remember. The only poi I could find on-line was a bag of powdered poi that cost $30 (before shipping). Heck, I don't want enough poi to live on it for the rest of my life, just enough for everyone to have a taste. Since it is brunch, the main dish will be fried rice. But I'm also looking for "Portagee" sausage. Yes, I know it is Portuguese, and that it is also called (duh) linguica of something like that. Anyway, do any of you know of a mail-order source of Hawaiian foods?

When's your brunch? There are some things you could make (i.e., kalua pig), but you have to cook it a long time. Also, lomi lomi salmon . . . stuff like that. I would have to get the recipes from my Mom. Poi, to me, is more a novelty. We served some at my sister's wedding & a lot went to waste. It's not the tastiest thing in the world!:-p

thanks for the help, but it was too late for me. I wasn't going whole hog (i.e., kahlua pork, huli huli chicken) just brunch. The party was a huge hit. The main dish was fried rice, and everyone loved it. I tried to make lomi lomi salmon, but the fish simply wasn't of a quality that it was up to it (instead of curing when I salted it, it just turned hard and smelly). Yes, the poi would have only been a novelty item, which is why I wasn unwilling to pay that much for it. Never did find Portuguese sausage. I WAS surprised that some people actually LIKE SPAM. Having lived in Hawaii off-and-on for ten years, this shouldn't surprise me. You couldn't have a real Hawaiian meal without it, but .... well, let's just say I don't!

Back
Top Bottom