"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
ISO help with quesadilla ingredients

I have never made these and I have a group of people who have requested them at lunch tomorrow! I have the flour tortilla's, cooked chicken, cheese...but can you tell me how you like yours? And a favourite salsa to go with them?

I know I will love them given the usual ingredients. Must hunt down some more chiplote in adobo too as I imagine that would go well in a quesadilla.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef
you could do anything with quesadillas!
Pepperjack cheese
Green Chile
Red Chile sauce poured over the top
Guacamole (for dipping)
Sour Cream

When I make them in a skillet, I usually butter the tortilla and not the pan. This way it's more even cooking and less like frying.
All this talk is getting me hungry!
Hope your lunch turns out well tomorrow!

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
I make them with just about anything I have on hand. Sometimes I just use cheese and sprinkle in some spices (or not).
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Places I've worked at added chopped tomatoes, chopped lettuce, sliced olive, sliced, sauteed mushrooms, etc. Of course, we were using huge 15" tortillas for these.

Personally, I usually just stick with the cheese and meat items. If you want a really interesting flavor, crumble a little queso fresco (Fresh Mexican-style Farmer's cheese) over the cheese you normally use. Remember queso fresco won't melt. It adds an interseting creamy/salty flavor.

Chipotles in Adobo might over-power the quesadilla. Go easy on that, or just dribble a little of the adobo sauce out of the can into the quesadilla. Or, you can make a salsa and add some Chipotle to the salsa.

Personally, I like to make a Salsa Verde (using tomatillos instead of tomatoes) for chicken or pork quesadillas. I'll dribble a little over the meat as I'm assembling the quesadilla, while it's cooking.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
Aside from meat and cheese I add chopped pickled jalapenos, guacamole, sour cream, and taco sauce in some combination depending on my mood.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote