ISO Indian curry mix REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I would like to try some Indian curries, especially Vindaloo. The recipies call for ALOT of spices that I don't have. Does anyone make a "spice blend" or "kit" other than just "curry powder" in the spice isle? I looked in my local big chain grocery, but didn't find. I'm sure we have Indian grocers here in Austin, but I don't know what to ask for.
Thanks, Eric, Austin TX.

Once you start doing Indian, you'll want to create your own, but I'll echo what others have said, Penzey's for some good basic starters...

Why not just try making the recipe yourself. Starting without any spices is not too hard. Just buy the ones that you need for the vindaloo recipe. Then go for another recipe and buy the spices that you don't have. Before too long you'll have a cupboard full of spices. It's worth the effort.

Good luck.

We now have a Penzy's here in Des Moines so I can buy just what I want but for all practical purposes I would buy from Penzys in small quantities till I found just what you like, They are on the www.Penzys .com. Ask for a cataloge anf be ready to go nuts

Penzys seems to be a hot ticket item around here. What is the difference between them and other spices on the shelves at the local grocery store? Fresher? More flavor?

I don't like pre-ground curry powder. I don't care how good the brand the flavor is just not there. Being Indian I tend to be more picky. To me ready made packaged powders does not have the oomph that I look for in my curries.

It's not hard to make your own and here is what I recommend. Make two mixes and keep them seperate and use them within a month (max) or toss it out and make new ones. Again as indicated some may not agree but I am extremely finicky about it.

First mix:

3 tbsp of corrainder seeds
3 tbsp of cumin seeds
3 dried arabol chilis
2 tsp of fenugreek seeds
2 tsp of mustard seeds

First dry roast them in a skillet and then grind them in a coffee grinder. I like to mix turmeric and paprika to this (the only two powdered spices I buy). One mix done.

Second mix:

3 sticks of cinnamon
6 cloves
10 black peppercorns
5 cardamom (green)
There are some optional things you can add if you desire a lot of authenticity but if you skip them you will not miss them they are as follows:
2 star anise
2 black cardamom pods (they are a different spice altogether than the green variety)
Some black cumin (kala jeera) again a different spice than regular cumin

Dry roast partial or all of them and then grind them and store

When you cook use both these spices. The first mix more than the second mix. The first is the pungent spices and the second sweet but warm spices.

You can make any and every curry with these. You mix them with a base of onions, tomatoes, cream, yogurt, vinegar, coconut depending on the regional influence. You can increase the spice amount by throwing in some more dried red chillies or chili powder or green chilis.

You hopefully get the gist of it.

Penzys seems to be a hot ticket item around here. What is the difference between them and other spices on the shelves at the local grocery store? Fresher? More flavor?

They offer top quality spices. They do a large volume so their spices are fresher. Thay also offer a lot of variety along with a number of proprietary blends.

Check out the Penzy's site.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom