ISO Japanese Seafood Dish - Not Tempura

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Back when I was living in NY & sushi was "just" starting to become popular, Japanese restaurants were springing up all over Long Island.

One we frequented, which has since been closed for many years, used to serve the most fabulous seafood platter I've ever tasted. I've done extensive websearches & gone through various Japanese cookbooks over the years, but still can't seem to find anything remotely close. Have tried to replicate it from memory, but it still just doesn't come out the same.

The platter contained a nice-sized piece of flounder, 3-4 large sea scallops, & 3-4 large shrimp - all covered in a soft "eggy" batter, sort of like a "Francaise" treatment - with a very light buttery sauce over all. Served with a small side of mixed sauteed oriental veggies & brown rice, it was light, lemony, & positively ethereal.

I'm pretty good at replicating restaurant meals, but somehow my batter for this is always too bland, & the sauce completely escapes me.

Does anyone here know what this might be called &/or have a recipe for it?

just guessing breezy, but it almost sounds like avgolemono, the greek soup, just with seafood that's been dusted with cornstarch.

Naw - if it were only that easy - lol!! The seafood had a definite soft eggy batter on it, not just cornstarch. And the sauce was thick/opaque.

more like an oyster or lobster sauce maybe?
and batter? hmmm, i'm gonna have to look over a few menus in my office, and keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for that Boufa. I've saved it & will try it. Although I'd probably substitute lemon juice for the soy sauce - it was definitely lemony & pale.

:ermm: I really should stay out this...as I really don't have a clue...but would the batter have been some version of tempura..?

Now ya'll be nice to Uncle Bob:LOL:

Naw - it was a soft eggy batter - not even close to tempura. And of course I'd be nice - lol!!!! I'm looking for any & all suggestions. But it definitely wasn't a tempura batter.

No, no Uncle Bob - dont' feel that way!!! Heck, every suggestion is a good one!

It's just that this was definitely not a tempura thing. In fact, I'm thinking it was shallow-fried or sauteed rather than deep-fried.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom