ISO: Kitchen playmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG--black chickpeas can be found at an Indian market. Supposedly they are available in cans as well as dried--not here, so I used the dried ones (the hummus I made from the extra ones I cooked is flipping amazing, btw). Sorry, that wasn't Palm Vinegar, it was CANE vinegar, my bad. That is available at Caribbean markets. Happened to have some dried figs leftover from my drunken fruitcake fruit recipe, so decided to toss those in because aren't those found in that part of the world?? The rating by the person who got the meal was five stars for the chicken, cous-cous, salad, so-so on the fennel, but then, the person thought it was eggplant--hasn't eaten a lot of fennel. My opinion--I prefer fennel raw. Still have one bulb left--that's going to be made into a fennel slaw salad. The extra toasted almonds with cayenne went in the blender to add depth to the black chickpea hummus.

Thanks to everyone for coming out to play. I had fun.

I was wondering where the chicken was. ;) What's in the upper right hand corner? My brain keeps saying "fried cod". :wacko:

Sorry I missed this! I had to work an evening shift last night so I was gone by 2 my time.

In case you're interested for another African dish, my SIL lives in Uganda and has for many years. Their "starch" is matooke or matoke. It is a bit like polenta or grits when it is done. It's actually a type of banana or plantain that is cooked and made into a mush. Bland, so it takes on all kinds of flavors from whatever else you serve.

Glad you had fun in your kitchen adventures.

I want to make an Aloo Methi inspired potato salad. Aloo Methi ( Punjabi Recipe) recipe | Punjabi Subzis Recipes | by Tarla Dalal | Tarladalal.com | #22789

This is what I did: baked/roasted 5 potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 head of garlic, 1 green pepper. I rubbed the potatoes with EVOO and sprinkled them with coarse salt, let them bake for 60 minutes at 400. Let them cool, and cut them into cubes. Added 4 oz fennegreek leaves (steamed), sliced roasted carrot, 1 c black chickpeas, shallots, roasted garlic, grated lime zest.

For the dressing, I took some of the roasted garlic, 2 c greek yogurt, 2 T mayonnaise, 1 shallot, diced, 3 T curry powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger, lime zest. I added a bit of water for consistency. It tastes great--looks awful...what should I add/change?

Attachments

• Potato salad 003.jpg
    Potato salad 003.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 190
I'm a hardcore roasted red pepper (or even raw) freak and always suggest them. They add such brilliant and sweet contrast.

Back
Top Bottom