"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-29-2006, 05:57 AM   #21
Head Chef

Well the nutty centre is vey unstable in the best I have had too.

If you were to prepare the nuts in your thicker syrup and roll them in foil, like a biscuit dough fr the freezer, till they set, that might help. Indeed, could you freeze them thus prepared to set them so?

Then roll the kataifi similarly on foil, put the cylinder of nuts in and gently use foil to roll up (like when baking a swiss roll or similar) then refreeze to get a stable unit pre-sauteeing?

I think you should keep trying with the kataifi because while it would taste good with pastry you and I know this stuff is delicious and what sets it apart! Good luck! Sound delicious so far!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Very good ideas Lulu -- thanks!

Never made a swiss roll but I think I see what you're driving at -- the role of the foil would be to hold the kataifi in place? That was definitely a challenge so I'll go with the foil idea happily.

Okay, fair enough, you and I DO know how worth it these are, so I'll persist with the kataifi (my favorite little workshop was closed Saturday since it's still high holiday time here in Greece, so I had to get the supermarket version -- chances are good that if I get it at the workshop I can get some a little less folded up into a mass and then, just maybe, it will be a bit easier to work with?)

We finished the pistachio one last night. Should probably try again next weekend, wouldn't you say?

Old 08-29-2006, 06:10 AM   #23
Head Chef

I'd say yes!

Hmm, wish I were in Athens to help with the taste testing, lol! As it is I'll enjoy it through your updates. Better for my diet, huh?!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 AM   #24
Sous Chef

C'mon down Lulu! Although hubby wouldn't be happy to have you. Less for him you know, oink, oink, oink.

As for your diet, better, yes, but you'll be skinny and green with envy, won't you?!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Ayrton:

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting this done. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

need kadaif/kataifi recipe

Hi, I'm brand new and have never used any forum anywhere before. I found this forum thru Google and signed on. But looking on the site, I see "ethnic". How do I find this thread or other specific threads again?

Anyway, to the reason I signed on: In the past I had a wonderful and easy recipe for kadaif/kataifi that used shredded wheat cereal from the box instead of phyllo.
The recipe wandered off, and I have been unsuccessful finding it since. I would appreciate help in finding it, or a similar recipe, again.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #27
Head Chef

Hello Sweet Annie! To find it again perhaps the easiest way is to search using the search option third from the right at the top of the screen - I might be wrong but that is how I do it! If it is a recent or current thread it MIGHT be there if you click new posts!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Hi Sweet Annie --

I can only hope you've figured out how to find this thread and page again since otherwise whatever I have to offer will not reach you!

In any event, to find this thread of this forum ... start on the home page (www.discusscooking.com) then click on "forum listings" under "quick links" which is in the upper left-hand corner of the page (home page and perhaps all others ... scroll up right now on this page and you'll see it). Thereafter, scroll down the list of forums until you find "ethnic" then click on it. Within you'll see recent threads and if you remember the name of this thread, you locate it and click on it (it should also be a different color than the others since you've been in it). Alternatively, of course, follow Lulu's sound advice and do a search!

As for the kadaif and shredded wheat: please note that while you call the entire dish you're looking for "kadaif/kataifi" those words really only refer to the "dough" itself that's used, i.e. the stuff that's very much like shredded wheat (although shredded wheat is baked and hard whereas kataifi is raw, soft and malleable).

However, it seems possible that you could come up with something very tasty using shredded wheat, even if it's not really authentic (I remember my mom making french toast with shredded wheat -- it was yummy!). Is the dish you're remembering with a filling of some kind? Can you describe the whole dish? If you could, I'm sure we can help you get what you want.

Hope to hear back from you!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Ayrton and Lulu,

Thanks for your help already. I only made the dish once, and it was years ago, but here goes -

Crumble the large shredded wheat cakes
Mix in nuts and butter, lemon juice?, and cinnamon (and more spices?) and ????
Place in 8x8 or 9x9 square pan
Pour honey, lemon juice? more nuts? on top.(Or maybe you do this after baking)
Bake about 325 - 350
Take out of oven,
Let cool
Slice in small squares, about brownie size. The wheat is no longer crunchy, but the strands remain individually visible.
Devour...mmmmm

To me, it was easily as good as the "real thing."

sweet annie
I hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Actually, it's about as simple as the real thing as well. The only difference is that you use the shredded kadaif dough in place of the cereal.

Tags
None