"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Head Chef

Tomorrow night I plan to make some fried avocado tacos. They will have a cabbage slaw and salsa. If you play with that idea I am sure you can come up with something she would like.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Fried avocado tacos? Tell us more, please?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Thanks everybody. I think this should be enough to make something simple.
Charlie, read the labels on the refried beans. Many brands include lard in the product. But there are brands without any added fat.

Seeeeeya;p Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Does she eat eggs?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Fried avocado tacos? Tell us more, please?
Coat them with a Panko breading and serve on a bed of slaw with avocado sauce and salsa. The ones I made tonight I used a Tempura batter. I will go back to the Panko breading.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Does she eat eggs?
Only cheese omlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I was in the store and saw some soft tortilla wraps. I decided to surprise my wife and make something Mexican for her, as she likes it, but since I do not, I usually do not make it very often.
Now I have a problem. What to make? I would really like help with recipe too. It has to be either vegetarian or preferably dairy. No Meat recipes please. She likes re-fried beans or simply beans, Mexican rice, cheder is her choice of cheese, she want eat any other kind, but that is a minor detail. She likes salsa and guacamole. If you can help me with those ingredients it would be awesome. Really appreciate.

Than you in advance.
I'm probably too late Charlie, but if you ever want to do this again for your sweetie and you are looking for something easy...cheese enchiladas are so easy. Just warm some of those soft flour tortillas until they are pliable enough to roll...stuff with some of that cheddar she loves. Roll them up and put them in a baking dish and pour some bottled enchilada sauce over top....not too much, just enough to moisten. Put extra grated cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Top with some pre-chopped black olives and green onions for garnish....serve with some hot refried beans alongside topped with some extra cheese and you will be a hero. Store bought salsa and guacamole can be very good as sides and toppings.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
Master Chef

Vegetarian Enchilada pie:

18 soft corn tortillas
1/2 good cheddar cheese, grated
6 oz. canned jalapeno peppers, or 3 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/2 cup orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbs. finely minced cilantro
1 pkg. sliced American cheese
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 cup enchilada sauce
12 oz can diced tomato

Spoon enough enchilada sauce into a casserole pan to lightly cover the bottom.
Lay a single layer of tortillas to cover the bottom.Combine the spices, and cilantro. lightly sprinkle onto the tortillas. Put a little of everything else onto the layer, ending in cheese. Spoon enchilada sauce on top. Put another layer of tortillas on top and repeat. Build like you would lasagna. Complete with a last layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.

Bake in 350'F. oven for 30 minutes. Serve with tossed salad, Fresh-sliced Haas avocado slices, then a nice flan for desert. Horchatta makes a good beverage with this meal. Lola's Horchata Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Ok CharlieD, save this for the next time you want to treat her to something southwestern. Or just enjoy because it tastes so darn good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Charlie, read the labels on the refried beans. Many brands include lard in the product. But there are brands without any added fat.

Seeeeeya;p Chief Longwind of the North
Tell me about. There are no kosher brands of re-fried beans in the store. I went to Restaurant Depot (btw if anybody has one in your city and you can get there, it is members only, wow, what a place to shop) they had one brand that was kosher.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Master Chef

After reading all the suggestions, and plus some Internet info. I realized that, even though there is the set way of doing things, in the it is pretty much what you like to eat. I do not know what to call what I made but this is what I did. I fried some onion and mix it with re-fried beans. Warmed up the tortilla shell a little bit, just to make it easier to roll. Put the beans, salsa and some cheese inside and rolled. In the pan I put some enchilada sauce over the "burritos" (whatever the name would be) I spread some mild enchilada sauce on, which I really liked, and some cheese. Into oven it went till cheese melted. Served with some more rice, some tomatoes, onions, bunch of store bought sauces. Honestly, I was surprised I liked it, but even more honestly the tomatoes and sour cream were the best part, that's the russian in me.
Here is the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00236.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	21577  

Tags
mexican