ISO Mexican and dairy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlie, you made bean and cheese enchiladas :) I'm so glad you liked it. We love Mexican food. What did your wife think?

She loves Mexican food, growing up in CA that is what she knows. I have made few other things throughout the years. But it is the stubborn Russian in me that keeps going back to what I know. Russian, actually more Ukrainian food. I also make half decent Chinese. Mexican food would not be so bad for me if there was no beans. I cannot stand beans. But I was surprised by the taste of refried beans, somehow it was different.

She loves Mexican food, growing up in CA that is what she knows. I have made few other things throughout the years. But it is the stubborn Russian in me that keeps going back to what I know. Russian, actually more Ukrainian food. I also make half decent Chinese. Mexican food would not be so bad for me if there was no beans. I cannot stand beans. But I was surprised by the taste of refried beans, somehow it was different.
I agree with you. I can stand black beans.

Charlie, do you like chickpeas? You can make homemade refried beans using chickpeas. I have been making refried beans since I went to university in New Brunswick--no Mexican food ingredients back then in the stores, so I also had to make my own tortillas, salsa, and spice blend. I do mine to taste, so don't have a recipe, but here are some ideas to get the creative juices flowing the next time you want to make a Mexican-inspired meal.

Quick and Easy Refried Beans Recipe - Allrecipes.com

How To Make Homemade Refried Beans

Homemade white refried beans

Meatless Meals for Meat Eaters: Refried Garbonzo Beans

Healthy Homemade Refried Bean Tacos — Produce On Parade

DH is making a quick trip to San Jose Sunday--hoping he has time to pick up some Mexican chiles and oregano for me. I'm giving him a list and if he doesn't have time, I'm going to ask him to get the concierge at the hotel to get the stuff for me.

Last edited:
There is not much kosher Mexican stuff, especially here in MN.
Thank you for the tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Thanks, CharlieD for the great thread. I made sure I had ingredients because now I'm starving for enchiladas.

I never really cared for the corn tortillas. They always tasted a little flat to me. I had planned to use flour tortillas instead, however, I found soft corn tortillas in the store Friday. They seem to be half flour tortillas as well as corn. I'm going to try that.

I also have a little taco meat mixture, so that will probably be incorporated.

I really liked the taste of the cheese sauce I made for the broccoli, so I'm thinking that I could spread enchilada sauce in the bottom of the casserole, and pour cheese sauce on top of the enchiladas.

I'll post the results later.

Back
Top Bottom