"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Can't go wrong with some yummy authentic tacos.

https://snapguide.com/guides/make-au...c-steak-tacos/

INGREDIENTS

2 Pounds Extra thin steak
2 Whole Onions set one onion a side
3 Limes
40 Authentic Mexican corn tortillas
2 Pinches Of salt
1 Bunch Cilantro cut small
5 Tablespoons Oil

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
No se

I don't know if you are aware, but Cinco de Mayo is a Tex-Mex and Southwestern U.S. Americanized holiday. It's considered a minor holiday that very few Mexicans celebrate. Like Saint Patrick's Day, it's just another excuse for over aged adolescent Americans to eat and drink alcohol to excess.
First, I live in Michigan, a far distance from Texas and California, though I did live in San Diego for ten years. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since I was 21 years of age. I tried it and decided it wasn't for me. I love good food, and am always trying to learn new cuisines from all around the world. Cinco De Mayo for me is an excuse to broaden my culinary horizons, and pay honor to a people, who, whether we want to admit it or not, have enriched our own culture.

Yes there are those that use the holiday to go get drunk. But for those people, the fact that it's Friday night is just as good a reason. There are also in this nation, responsible people who enjoy holidays to get together with family and friends and find new experiences that will create wonderful memories.

for everyone else who posted, thanks for the wealth of info. I will decided tonight which recipes I will try, with DW's input of course.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
Head Chef

Chiles en nogada is popular in Puebla for Independance day and Cinco de Mayo.

I had a chance to cook with this lady a few months back.

This is the full version.

This is a quick more simple version
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm drooling over the above suggestions and recipes...! Thank you, all!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #15
Master Chef

Alas, I've now got wonderful new recipes that I have cut and pasted onto my laptop. But DW is a creature of habit, and has a very narrow list of foods she will eat. Tacos and such must be made the way her mother made them, and she made them. This includes a pretty tasty shredded beef filling complete with cumin, salt, and cilantro, and the famous Hennessey Taco, created by her mother. It's as Americanized as a taco can get. But it is very tasty, and not in any way authentic, except for the fresh corn tortilla, softened in beef fat.

We ahd Hennessey tacos. Here's how you make this rediculous, but oh so tasty taco;

Brown 1 lb. ground beef, seasoned only with salt. Drain and set a side. make fresh guacamole by crushing the meat of 2 ripe Haas avacados, then mix in a splash of lime juice, two tbs. finely diced ripe tomato, a dash or two of Tabasco Sauce, and 1 tbs. minced cilantro. Stir until all is combined.

Dice up 1 who, ripe tomato, 1/2 cup sweet onion, 1 peeled cucumber. Place shredded lettuce into a bowl.

Cut a 1/8 inch thick slice of Velveeta into four strips. Heat enough oil to cover a single tortilla. Place a strip of cheese and enough ground beef onto the middle of a tortilla, which the cheese slightly off center, place the tortilla in the hot oil for about 30 sends, lift the tortilla from the oil and let drain, taking care not to spill the filling. Place on a paper towel and fold in half. Cook the next tortilla the same way. Continue until all of your tacos are cooked. Spread them out to all who are going to eat them, and let everyone add their own fillings and condiments to their tacos. Ketchup must be used with this taco to give it full flavor.

Now how odd does that sound? But trust me, it is wonderful tasting, but not what I wanted for dinner. Oh well. I'll get to make the other recipes on days other than Cinco De Mayo.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

The best authentic Mexican recipes available, from a white guy in Chicago!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
First, I live in Michigan, a far distance from Texas and California, though I did live in San Diego for ten years. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since I was 21 years of age. I tried it and decided it wasn't for me. I love good food, and am always trying to learn new cuisines from all around the world. Cinco De Mayo for me is an excuse to broaden my culinary horizons, and pay honor to a people, who, whether we want to admit it or not, have enriched our own culture.

Yes there are those that use the holiday to go get drunk. But for those people, the fact that it's Friday night is just as good a reason. There are also in this nation, responsible people who enjoy holidays to get together with family and friends and find new experiences that will create wonderful memories.

for everyone else who posted, thanks for the wealth of info. I will decided tonight which recipes I will try, with DW's input of course.

You totally missed the point!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
You totally missed the point!
I'm afraid that the written world leaves a great deal of room for extrapolation, especially on viewpoints. What can be completely clear to you, because of your own ideas that aren't written, but swimming in your head, will not be clear to another because of a lack of reference that you enjoy about your own thoughts.

I am famous for spouting out things verbally to others in the middle of a conversation that make them say, "What in the world are you talking about, and how does it pertain to this conversation!" What I say makes sense to me because I have a complete thought in my head. It doesn't make sense to the others because they are recieving a fragment of my thought process.

You're right, I missed the point. Don't have enough info to catch it.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
No se

I don't know if you are aware, but Cinco de Mayo is a Tex-Mex and Southwestern U.S. Americanized holiday.
Not just in the Southwest. In California, there are huge celebrations as well. When I was still in San Jose, the celebrations downtown took a bad turn when shop windows were all broken out. They started an alcohol ban the next year.

And even here in the Washington state....well, let's just say that you really don't want to go to a Taco Bell on May 5th. I was 30 minutes in the drive thru. But I didn't have anything better to do anyway.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #20
Master Chef

There were little bits of celebrations here and there in L.A., but only at Mexican restaurants and cantinas where mainly gringos patronize.
The day is basically a non-event day for Mexicans, at least here in L.A. with a huge Mexican population.

Tags
mexican, recipe, recipes

ISO Mexican recipes for Cinco De Mayo Looking to our friends living in Mexico to provide authentic Mexican recipes (not Tex-Mex, or Southwestern U.S. Americanized Mexican food) for Cinco De Mayo. Want to share with friends. Thanks in advance. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews