"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Mexican recipes for Cinco De Mayo

Looking to our friends living in Mexico to provide authentic Mexican recipes (not Tex-Mex, or Southwestern U.S. Americanized Mexican food) for Cinco De Mayo. Want to share with friends. Thanks in advance.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Do we have any active members who live in Mexico?

You might want to search DC for recipes by MexicoKaren. She lived there (don't know if she still does) but hasn't posted for quite a while. Also, Rick Bayless and Marcela Valladolid (Mexican Made Easy on Food Network) have authentic Mexican recipes.

I've made quite a few recipes from both. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do we have any active members who live in Mexico?
No se

I don't know if you are aware, but Cinco de Mayo is a Tex-Mex and Southwestern U.S. Americanized holiday. It's considered a minor holiday that very few Mexicans celebrate. Like Saint Patrick's Day, it's just another excuse for over aged adolescent Americans to eat and drink alcohol to excess.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I don't know if you are aware, but Cinco de Mayo is a Tex-Mex and Southwestern U.S. Americanized holiday. It's considered a minor holiday that very few Mexicans celebrate. Like Saint Patrick's Day, it's just another excuse for over aged adolescent Americans to eat and drink alcohol to excess.
I am aware of that. It could also be thought of as a way to learn about and celebrate another culture's traditions and foods, like the German, Greek, Irish, Italian, Filipino, etc., festivals that take place throughout the country in places where there are large populations of immigrant descendants.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mexico has many different regions and cuisines, like the US. We frequently vacation in the Yucatan, a region that has lots of fresh fish and seafood.

No recipes, but some "authentic" suggestions: Molé chicken, sopa de lima, cochinita pibil, shrimp cocktail made with orange pop sauce (surprisingly good!), deep fried whole fish, ceviche, different salsas, refried beans, posole with all the good stuff that comes with it, tacos, tortas, tostadas, arrachera, tres leches cake, Mexican pastries (many Mexicans love their pastries!), chiliquiles, lots of fresh tropical fruits, lots of great food.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Comments here got my curiosity aroused, so I had to do a little research. On May 5, 1862, the Mexican Army defeated the French Army in the Battle of Puebla. According to Wikipedia:

On May 9, 1862, President Juárez declared that the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla would be a national holiday regarded as "Battle of Puebla Day" or "Battle of Cinco de Mayo".

Today, the commemoration of the battle is not observed as a national holiday in Mexico (i.e. not a statutory holiday). However, all public schools are closed nationwide in Mexico on May 5.The day is an official holiday in the State of Puebla, where the Battle took place, and also a full holiday (no work) in the neighboring State of Veracruz.

The defeat of the French Army prevented the French from aiding the Confederates in the American Civil War, which likely would have influenced the outcome. I didn't know that. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

So while it has taken on more significance in the U.S. than in Mexico, there is history behind it.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Comments here got my curiosity aroused, so I had to do a little research. On May 5, 1862, the Mexican Army defeated the French Army in the Battle of Puebla. According to Wikipedia:

On May 9, 1862, President Juárez declared that the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla would be a national holiday regarded as "Battle of Puebla Day" or "Battle of Cinco de Mayo".

Today, the commemoration of the battle is not observed as a national holiday in Mexico (i.e. not a statutory holiday). However, all public schools are closed nationwide in Mexico on May 5.The day is an official holiday in the State of Puebla, where the Battle took place, and also a full holiday (no work) in the neighboring State of Veracruz.

The defeat of the French Army prevented the French from aiding the Confederates in the American Civil War, which likely would have influenced the outcome. I didn't know that. Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

So while it has taken on more significance in the U.S. than in Mexico, there is history behind it.
Cool beans, tenspeed! Good to know!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

Cooked bulk Mexican chorizo in a baking/serving dish, grated Chihuahua cheese or some other melting cheese on top baked or broiled until cheese melts, soft flour tortilla wedges to grab and pick up bites of chorizo and cheese. Easy peasy appy.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of my favorite Mexican street foods is esquites, a kind of corn soup. Basically boiled corn, a bit of the liquid, with lime juice, mayo, queso, chili powder. Assembled and served by many grandchildren carefully supervised by their abuelas. Elote is similar, but the corn is left on the cob, and roasted.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

How about some churros, sort of a Mexican deep fried choux paste/cream puff dough, how bad can that be!!!

Mexican Crullers (Churros) : Recipes : Cooking Channel

Tags
mexican, recipe, recipes

ISO Mexican recipes for Cinco De Mayo Looking to our friends living in Mexico to provide authentic Mexican recipes (not Tex-Mex, or Southwestern U.S. Americanized Mexican food) for Cinco De Mayo. Want to share with friends. Thanks in advance. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews