"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO Mexican rice recipe

My family would like me to try to duplicate the rice you get at some Mexican restaurants - the rice that is yellow with maybe a speckle of veggies (onion, pepper, carrot or corn would be O.K.), but no tomatoes. Any ideas would be so appreciated!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've seen saffron flavored rice in packets at the grocery store. Add your own veggies and make it your own! Or buy uncooked rice, and buy your own saffron, but saffron is expensive.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Head Chef

I would look for achiote or annato seeds and use those to make achiote oil to get the yellow color.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

chorizo oils from mexican sausage. they use it to cook the starch off rice. I saw some ladies cooking their rice and wondered why it was not boiling dry. I've never tried it.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Master Chef

Actually, Zatarains makes a darn good yellow rice mix. Has onions, red & green bell peppers, & light seasoning. And best of all - not salty, like most commercial rice mixes.

I've used it many times as a base for quick Spanish paella-type seafood dishes or as a side for enchiladas.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
Executive Chef

PytnPlace, Mexican rice is fairly similar to Chinese Fried Rice except that it is vegetarian. The ingredients for Saffron Rice is 1 cup long-grain rice, 1 chopped green pepper, 1 chopped red pepper, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp garlic powder/fresh garlic, 1/4 tsp saffron, olive oil. To prepare, saute onion, peppers until soft, add rice and cook briefly. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring it to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed by the rice.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks for that recipe Boufa06. It's funny that in all the Mexican cookbooks I have, not one seems to have an easy "basic" recipe for Mexican rice.

If I can scare up my saffron, I'll definitely be trying your recipe to accompany my next batch of enchiladas!!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You are most welcome Breezy. There is also another version which has chopped tomatoes and garden peas minus the saffron.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Actually, Zatarains makes a darn good yellow rice mix. Has onions, red & green bell peppers, & light seasoning. And best of all - not salty, like most commercial rice mixes.

I've used it many times as a base for quick Spanish paella-type seafood dishes or as a side for enchiladas.
Thanks for the hint. I like Zatarains mixes a lot, but haven't tried that one. I'll try making a quick paella with it. Since I've never had the real thing, do you have any hints?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Thanks soooo much for all of your helpful hints. I'm really enjoying this forum - which is so great due to all of you! I'm going to try Boufa's and Skilletlicker's ideas and look to see if Zatarin's carries yellow rice mix here - we may be a little to north of the border for that. But really, all of you have some great ideas that I will incorporate.

Tags
None