ISO Name & Recipe for an Itallian Egg/Cheese Pastie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magick Minx

Assistant Cook
Hello All

I'm looking for the name of & the recipe if possible for a snack I came across in Italy this year. It was like a pasty with a light fluffy egg/cheese filling (almost like an omlette inside). I thought it was called something like a Canneshone (can-e-shown) but can't find it on tinternet! Can anybody help???

Many Thanks
Minx
x

was it savory? or like an Italian ricotta pie (but individual, pasty)?

Sounds like a Calzone.

calzone.jpg

One basic egg-cheese calzone is a mixture of ricotta and mozzarella cheeses and egg and other optional stuff ... placed in the dough and baked at 400-F for 15-20 minutes. Some recipes use a fried egg, some use scrambled, some just beat the egg in with the cheeses.

Can you describe the ones you had a little more? There are many calzone recipes online but if you can describe it a little more (texture, flavors, other ingredients) I might be able to help you narrow down the field.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Calzone.

calzone.jpg

One basic egg-cheese calzone is a mixture of ricotta and mozzarella cheeses and egg and other optional stuff ... placed in the dough and baked at 400-F for 15-20 minutes. Some recipes use a fried egg, some use scrambled, some just beat the egg in with the cheeses.

Can you describe the ones you had a little more? There are many calzone recipes online but if you can describe it a little more (texture, flavors, other ingredients) I might be able to help you narrow down the field.

Mmmm well that certainly looks like it but it was a shortcrust pastry and not a bread/pizza dough.

The texture inside was really light & fluffy & very cheesy. I'm going to attempt some tomorrow, think I will add extra highly whipped egg white.

I thought that maybe this was something common in Itallian cuisine & I was just not looking properly, now I'm wondering if it was something the local baker created using the Calzone theory.

Feeling really hungry now looking at that Calzone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom