"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
Head Chef

To wyswyg or dina, could you kindly please translate the linked paella recipe? Many thanks! I'm a purist and would like to see what authentic paella looks like.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
chopstix,
Give me a couple of days, I will be more than happy to translate it for you.
Please let me know if you want just the recipe or the entire website since it has a very nice introduction, references and tips for cooking.
In addition, let me know if you are able to identify all the ingredientes listed (click on them for a picture). I don't know if what is available in Thailand.
Last one: I assume you use metric system, correct me if I am wrong.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Paella recipe

Here is a version I often make when entertaining. It takes abour an hour to make, but the rave reviews make it worth it:

Ingredients and amounts aren't very fussy except the rice to liquid ratio of 1 part rice to 3 parts liquid.

Serves 4 (There WON'T be leftovers!)

Use a 12" frying pan, or a paella pan. I have an old Copco yellow enameled paella pan that makes for a great presentation.

Prep:
1/4 cup, or so, olive oil (or canola, or whatever)
2 Chicken breasts cut into 1/2" cubes, salt and pepper to taste and dust with dried oregano, about 1 tsp.

2 Spanish cooked Chorizo sausages, sliced 1/2" (Don't use the Mexican style chorizo if you can avoid it- way too much fat, and it just melts. I used to get it at Whole Foods, but eventually found a local source)

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 to 1 spanish onion, diced

2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped. (Most of the year, I use 3 or 4 whole canned tomatoes squished by hand in the sink to remove most of the seeds)

1 Bay leaf and some thyme and a pinch of paprika (I have some smoked Spanish paprika I got as a gift - wonderful stuff)

1 cup short to medium grain rice. (I use Arborio)

Pinch of Saffron threads (expensive! I have cheated and used a little turmeric with good results)

Seafood:
24, or so, small raw shrimp, or fewer larger ones (about 1/2 lb.)
1 dozen mussels (optional- must be kept alive until cooked- don't wrap in plastic-keep on ice in the fridge and use the same day as purchased-throw out any not closed, cracked shells, etc.)

3 cups heated chicken stock or water. Throw in the shrimp shells for extra flavor and 1/2 cup dry white wine. boil for a few minutes, strain and keep hot.

1/2 cup of frozen sweet peas, thawed.

lemon wedges

Pimentos, or roasted red sweet peppers - do it yourself, or from a jar, in strips

Cook (about 30 minutes total):

Heat the oil in a skillet or paella pan.
Brown the chicken cubes.
Add and brown the Chorizo.
Remove the meat and set aside. Drain any excess oil, but don't clean the pan. You should have about 2 Tbsp.

Make a sofrito by sauteeing the onions (and raw peppers, if using) for a few minutes, add the garlic and cook 1 minute, add the tomato, and cook until the mixture caramalized a bit and the flavors meld. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of paprika.

Add the rice, stirring to coat the grains Add the saffron.

Immediatly add the stock. and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks and absorbs the liquid evenly. I have been known to cover and steam if the rice is taking longer.

Re-add the meat (remove the bay and thyme). Simmer uncovered without stirring another few minutes. Add the mussels by poking down into the rice.

Add the shrimp, scatter the peas on top, and arrange the roasted peppers on top.

Check for unopened mussels and discard. Rest off the heat for 5 min.

You can hold in a low oven for as much as a half hour, without problem, while you finish your sangria.

Garnish with the lemon wedges, and serve, accompanied by a nice dry white wine.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Chopstix,
Attached is the paella valenciana link I provided previously in English.
No need for translation since Google has a version already :)

Translated version of http://www.lapaella.net/

Please let me know if you have questions.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #15
Head Chef

Hi Wysiwyg, thank you so much! Really appreciate it! :-D
Old 07-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank you very much Walt! You were very thorough and I will definitely add some of your ingredients on the paella. Now, I'm on a search for sangria.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Our paella luncheon was wonderful. My 5 friends showed up, we drank lots of sangria and then got to working on the paella. Thank you all for your great recipes. We incorporated all recipes and it turned out delicious!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I know you had a great time. My favorite paella recipe is Julia Child's! Here is a link. I use whatever seafood I can find--mussels,calamari, clams, lobster tails (when I REALLY want to impress!). They just get added at the end for the final steaming to heat/cook.
GMA Recipe: Paella 'a l'Americaine
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Here is a picture of two paella in did last week

Easy and fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	November2007Download 1640001.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	3177  
Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #20
Head Chef

Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides
Food Network : Healthy Recipe Collections, Party Ideas, Quick & Easy Recipes, Cooking Videos
RecipeSource: Your Source for Recipes on the Internet

I am curious. The internet is filled with some pretty spectacular recipe sites. Why does one come here?

These three provide many versions of just about (not quite) anything you might want.

Tags
None