ISO Polish cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
My mother's super daily has limited English, but is getting better fast. Today the sweet woman brought us an absolutely delectable Polish Cake. Its a delightful combination of a shortbread typ base, with a layer of spiced apple and then a meringue-y layer topped like a crumble or a crisp.

Phonetically it sounds like 'Pleshniak'. Would anybody know a correct spelling for this to heklp me seek out a recipe....not just for me but to chat food with the lovely housekeeper and help her develop an English cooking vocabulary!

I am increasingly interested in Polish cuisine, of what little I know, they are all exquisite, but there are relatively few info to be found, unfortunately, and I suspect as Lulu, I may not be typing in the correct spelling when I google.

One of the wonderful Polish cakes a friend from Krakow taught me was called Pychotka, though I never managed to find any further information from the net or anywhere, this remains one of our special favourite, and while it differs a bit from Lulu's cake, the basic ideas seem like similar.
I have once posted the recipe here, you might ask her about this too and see if she is familiar with it:)?

Ciao e abbraci Li!

That recipe looks yummy and yes, a very similar idea!

I'm going to try to get her to write the name down for me next week with the correct spelling. But, google being my friend, I think the spellingmight be PLESNIAK which seems to translate as mouldy cake!

It sems there are many variations, it bing described as variably as being a Christmas cake made with frozen dough balls, and a coffee-like cake!

Back
Top Bottom