ISO prawns with fresh tomatoes rec. (cantonese takeout style)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grumblebee

Contest Winner
Whenever I go out for cantonese I always get this amazingly lovely dish of stir fried prawns and tomatoes. Usually it's just called "prawns with fresh tomatoes" on the menu and there is usually a bit of chopped onion and maybe a few peas in it. The sauce is a tomatoey sweet/sour mixture and I've tried preparing it at home but I dont know what the ingredients are.

I found a picture of the exact dish I am talking about:
58.jpg

See how the sauce is a bit glossy and tomatoey? I'm thinking that is achieved with corn starch, but I dont know what the base could be.

Any help? Also, if anyone knows the traditional cantonese name for the dish can you let me know? (might make it easier to find a recipe if I know the actual name for it)

Thanks. :)

Welcome Back

Nice to 'see' you, again. This recipe is a Cantonese dish from a beautiful book called Chinese Cookery. The pic of the shrimp, etc. is glossy, as you mentioned; however there are no tomatoes. You could add them in place of the snow peas. It's a starting point to experiment with.

(Cantonese) Shrimp with Snow Peas

2/3 lb fresh shrimp

Marinade:
1 1/2 t rice wine or dry sherry
1/2 t salt
1/2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
1 1/2 t cornstarch
1 t sesame oil

Seasoning Sauce:
1 T chicken broth
3 T water
1/2 t cornstarch
3 T oyster sauce

1/2 c vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 lb fresh snow peas

Shell and devein shrimp. Rinse and pat dry w a paper towel.

Combine Marinade ingredients in a med bowl. Add shrimp, mix well. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry w paper towel.

Combine ingredients for Seasoning Sauce in small bowl; mix well. Heat oil in a wok 30 seconds over high heat. Stir fry garlic until golden, 30 seconds. Add shrimp. Sir fry about 30 seconds, until shrimp turns pink. Remove from wok w slotted spoon, draining well over wok.

Add salt & snow peas to oil in wok. Stir fry over high heat 30 seconds. Add Seasoning Sauce. Stir fry until sauce thickens slightly. Add cooked shrimp. Stir fry to coat shrimp with sauce. Makes 4 servings

Oooh that sounds good. I'll play around with the recipe a bit and see if it can turn out similar to the dish I am talking about.

Thanks Mish!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom