"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Real Americanized green chili

I am looking for a killer recipie for americanized green chili.I am from colorado and my insperations are Chubbies ,Los Delisious and so manny great mexican resturants in my area.This recipie shall not contain cactus,corn,squash or anything that will ruin my burrito.The ingrediants are pretty straigt forward thats why I know that there is something that I am missing in the technique.What is it? Any ideas?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I believe you're looking for a recipe for "Chili Verde," which is traditional green chili made with pork.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Head Chef

I make mine with either a roasted pork butt (rubbed with cumin, studded with garlic, s&p tot taste). Then saute onion and a variety of fresh green chilies in pork fat, add chopped or pureed tomatillos (canned is fine), and canned, roasted green chilies. Cube or shred the pork, put it in. More cumin...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be
I am looking for a killer recipie for americanized green chili.
Well, Chili Verde (green chili) is made with white meat (chicken breast or pork) instead of beef, tomatillos instead of tomatoes, green chilies (Anaheim, Serrano, Poblano, Jalapenos), chicken stock/broth and flavorings (cumin, oregano, garlic, cilantro, roasted coriander seeds, black pepper) - no chili powder.

If you could explain what you mean by Americanized I might be able to help find a specific recipe for you - I know of several good recipes that don't include cactus, corn, lima beans, etc. But, about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head to Americanize it would be to add some American cheese slices, or a dollop of Cheeze Whiz, when you make your buttiro.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Senior Cook

way off!

Omit the chicken and tomitillos and I have never had green chili with beef or chili powder.A little bit of cumin goes along way and when paired with roasted coriander seed you are leaning more twords a red chili flavor.I am guessing that these are tex mex ideas, and hearing them makes the cheeze whiz sound pretty good.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Head Chef

I don't know that the addition of tomatillos is "way off." Nor the use of cumin. And I would think that "Americanized" version that the OP asked for would probably lend itself quite well to the Tex-Mex concept. No one has suggested the use of chili powder, as well.One could make it with pureed or diced green chilies. period. Then it would be green chili. Kind of like those who prefer a red chili with absolutely no tomatoes, just chilies and beef. No problem. To each their own.
How do you make green chili, Wanna Be?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be View Post
Omit the chicken and tomitillos and I have never had green chili with beef or chili powder.A little bit of cumin goes along way and when paired with roasted coriander seed you are leaning more twords a red chili flavor.I am guessing that these are tex mex ideas, and hearing them makes the cheeze whiz sound pretty good.
Try the Pace product line that should be Americanized enough for you.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Head Chef

Tex-Mex is a real style of cooking that combines American with Mexican. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Tex-Mex is a real style of cooking that combines American with Mexican. Nothing wrong with that.

Correct. As a matter of fact, chili is more of a Tex-Mex dish than anything else.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Head Chef

Wow, after reading back, Wanna Be is the OP....
You asked, we tried to give you some help. Google it and you can find lots of recipes that you can sift through yourself so you can omit any that don't fit your criteria.

Tags
None