ISO Recipe for Potato Moussaka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
I am looking for a recipe for potato moussaka. Our local Greek church serves a potato moussaka during their annual festival which is really good. I've tried to duplicate it with little success. I am not keen on eggplant in moussaka, i.e. the "traditional" moussaka. Can I just use a regular moussaka recipe and substitute the potatoes for the eggplant?

This is my really really good and T&T recipe for moussaka with eggplant. I am sure you could just use potatoes instead of eggplant. I would use Yukon gold or large red potatoes for their "waxiness".

MOUSSAKA

3 Medium eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2" slices
olive oil
3 onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2# ground beef or lamb(better!!)
3 TBS tomato paste
1/2 C red wine
1 C bread crumbs
1 C parmesan
1/2 C parsley, chopped
salt/pepper/cinnamon to taste
TOPPING
8 TBS butter
6 TBS flous
4 eggs beaten frothy
4 C milk
2 C ricotta cheese (lo fat OK)

Spray cookie sheet with Pam and bake eggplant at 350 for 20 minutes or until done. Set aside. Brown meat and drain fat. Heat 2 TBS olive oil in pan and cook onions and garlic until golden but no brown. Add browned meat and cook 5 minutes. Combine wine, tomato paste, cinnamon, parsle, salt and pepper. Stir into meat. Simmer gently, stirring frequently until all the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
Prepare topping by melting butter, whisking in flour. Slowly add hot milk, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly and stir in beaten egg and ricotta.
Grease a lasagna pan (a foil lasagna pan works well--this makes a deep casserole). Sprinkle the bottom with bread crumbs. Arrange alternate layers of eggplant and meat mixture, sprinkling each layer with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Top with the cheese custard. Bake 1 hour or until top is puffy and golden brown. Cool 20-30 minutes before cutting. Serves 8. This will freeze very well. Cover with saran in contact with the topping and then aluminum foil. Thaw before cooking.

Gretchen,
Your recipe is very similar to one that I make. I don't use ricotta in the topping.
Tell me why when I have ordered it in a resturant it comes drenched in tomato sauce? Eggplant parmesan is the same way... all tomato sauce and not much eggplant.

Toots said:
I am looking for a recipe for potato moussaka. Our local Greek church serves a potato moussaka during their annual festival which is really good. I've tried to duplicate it with little success. I am not keen on eggplant in moussaka, i.e. the "traditional" moussaka. Can I just use a regular moussaka recipe and substitute the potatoes for the eggplant?

Why don't you ask someone at the church who makes it and ask for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom