ISO - Recipe Using Hoisin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hunted high and low on the Internet for a Hoisin sauce recipe (homemade) that did not include soy. I found several that didn't include sweet potato, but none without soy. Anyone?

all the recipes Ive seen have contained it. im sure you could sub soy with a dark molasses based bbq sauce like some recipes show.

I used to frequent a Vietnamese place that had really good Hoisin. It was on the sweeter side and not too salty. I have tried several jarred varieties and still can't find one similar. What brand are you guys using?
I currntly have Lee Kum Kee.

My favorite hoisin is Koon Chun. Look for the blue and yellow can. For some reason the sauce in the 5# can tastes better to me than the sauce in the jar.

²£«~¤¶²Ð Products > ®üÂAÂæ Hoisin Sauce

I like making a sauce for pork using pureed peaches cooked with a little hoisin sauce and sriracha, and spiced with ginger, corriander, mace, tumeric, black pepper, and allspice. I cut the pork into thicker cubes so the sauce doesn't overwhelm it and serve it over brown rice. I usually searve a really simple vegetable stirfry with water chestnuts, snap peas, bean sprouts and sometimes carrots seasoned with a little garlic, ginger and a tiny bit of soy sauce along side the pork. I don't have an exact recipe, it's something I just kind of throw together.

I used to frequent a Vietnamese place that had really good Hoisin. It was on the sweeter side and not too salty. I have tried several jarred varieties and still can't find one similar. What brand are you guys using? I currntly have Lee Kum Kee.

I always buy Koon Chun Sauce Factory brand, in a nice retro-looking yellow and violet label.

41VF5hzZGVL._SY300_.jpg

Okay, I'll join in the bump of this old thread...
Isn't Hoisin basically a Chinese BBQ sauce?
I buy Lee Kum Kee brand and simply
brush it on grilled chicken, as I would with any
other bottled BBQ sauce... served with
namasu.jpeg
some pickled veggies (namasu)
and steamed white rice,
what folks `round here call sticky rice
and Bob's-your-Uncle
(now I'm hungry :stuart:)

Back
Top Bottom