"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
ISO - Recipe Using Hoisin

Looking for some inspiration today. I want to do a Chinese entree using Hoisin sauce. I have chicken, beef, pork or fish in the freezer. Some baby bock choy. Oodles of other veggies. Speaking of oodles, I have noodles. Not sure. I may do up some char siu dumplings as another.........

__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
Chinese Pepper Steak


8 Oz Flank Steak
4 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
tsp Salt
tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil

2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
1+ tsp Chile Garlic Sauce (to taste)

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
6-8 Ea Mushrooms, sliced
1 Ea Bell Pepper, strips
C Beef Broth
C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with the grain into 1 - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into inch-thick slices.

Put the slices in a bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Combine the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate. Repeat with the mushrooms.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with some of the broth.

Add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, scallions and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through.

Adjust the thickness of the sauce with the remaining broth as needed.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Chinese Pepper Steak


8 Oz Flank Steak
4 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
tsp Salt
tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil

2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
1+ tsp Chile Garlic Sauce (to taste)

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
6-8 Ea Mushrooms, sliced
1 Ea Bell Pepper, strips
C Beef Broth
C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with the grain into 1 - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into inch-thick slices.

Put the slices in a bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Combine the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate. Repeat with the mushrooms.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with some of the broth.

Add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, scallions and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through.

Adjust the thickness of the sauce with the remaining broth as needed.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.
Thanks! Looks good.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
I used to frequent a Vietnamese place that had really good Hoisin. It was on the sweeter side and not too salty. I have tried several jarred varieties and still can't find one similar. What brand are you guys using?
I currntly have Lee Kum Kee.
__________________
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Same here. When I was browsing recipes I saw a few to make hoisin. For some reason, I never thought about it. I think I will put it on my list of things to attempt to make...
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Looking for some inspiration today. I want to do a Chinese entree using Hoisin sauce. I have chicken, beef, pork or fish in the freezer. Some baby bock choy. Oodles of other veggies. Speaking of oodles, I have noodles. Not sure. I may do up some char siu dumplings as another.........
I like making veggie and chicken egg foo yung and topping with a hoisin sauce gravy.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wish I could use Hoisin sauce, but it is made with sweet potatoes and soy, both of which I'm not supposed to eat.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
PolishedTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: East End of Long Island
Posts: 915
I have used Hoisin with a simple saute of veggies. Quick browning on high heat then add a tbsp of Hoisin with 1/4 of water, cover and cook til done. Oyster Sauce is good too.
__________________
Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Hoisin sauce is perfect in chinese spare ribs. Cook them long and slow covered and then take the lid off for the last half hour of cooking. You want the meat to fall off the bone. I use Nigella's recipe for spare ribs but I add hoisin to it, definitely makes a difference.
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Same here. When I was browsing recipes I saw a few to make hoisin. For some reason, I never thought about it. I think I will put it on my list of things to attempt to make...
Karen just made a batch of worchestershire!

For hoisin, it would have to be a beef stirfry!
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe

ISO - Recipe Using Hoisin Looking for some inspiration today. I want to do a Chinese entree using Hoisin sauce. I have chicken, beef, pork or fish in the freezer. Some baby bock choy. Oodles of other veggies. Speaking of oodles, I have noodles. Not sure. I may do up some char siu dumplings as another......... 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.