ISO - Recipe Using Hoisin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Looking for some inspiration today. I want to do a Chinese entree using Hoisin sauce. I have chicken, beef, pork or fish in the freezer. Some baby bock choy. Oodles of other veggies. Speaking of oodles, I have noodles. Not sure. I may do up some char siu dumplings as another.........

Chinese Pepper Steak

8 Oz Flank Steak
4 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
[FONT=PC&#47749]½
Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
[FONT=PC&#47749]¼[/FONT] tsp Salt
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil
[/FONT]
2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
1+ tsp Chile Garlic Sauce (to taste)

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
6-8 Ea Mushrooms, sliced
1 Ea Bell Pepper, ¼” strips
[FONT=PC&#47749]½ C Beef Broth[/FONT]
½ C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with the grain into 1½ - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into ¼ inch-thick slices.

Put the slices in a bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Combine the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate. Repeat with the mushrooms.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with some of the broth.

Add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, scallions and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through.

Adjust the thickness of the sauce with the remaining broth as needed.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.

Chinese Pepper Steak

8 Oz Flank Steak
4 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
[FONT=PC&#47749]½
Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
[FONT=PC&#47749]¼[/FONT] tsp Salt
[FONT=PC&#47749]½[/FONT] tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil
[/FONT]
2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
1+ tsp Chile Garlic Sauce (to taste)

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
6-8 Ea Mushrooms, sliced
1 Ea Bell Pepper, ¼” strips
[FONT=PC&#47749]½ C Beef Broth[/FONT]
½ C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with the grain into 1½ - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into ¼ inch-thick slices.

Put the slices in a bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Combine the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate. Repeat with the mushrooms.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Deglaze the pan with some of the broth.

Add the cooked peppers, mushrooms, scallions and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through.

Adjust the thickness of the sauce with the remaining broth as needed.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.

Thanks! Looks good.

I used to frequent a Vietnamese place that had really good Hoisin. It was on the sweeter side and not too salty. I have tried several jarred varieties and still can't find one similar. What brand are you guys using?
I currntly have Lee Kum Kee.

Same here. When I was browsing recipes I saw a few to make hoisin. For some reason, I never thought about it. I think I will put it on my list of things to attempt to make...

Last edited:
Looking for some inspiration today. I want to do a Chinese entree using Hoisin sauce. I have chicken, beef, pork or fish in the freezer. Some baby bock choy. Oodles of other veggies. Speaking of oodles, I have noodles. Not sure. I may do up some char siu dumplings as another.........

I like making veggie and chicken egg foo yung and topping with a hoisin sauce gravy.

I wish I could use Hoisin sauce, but it is made with sweet potatoes and soy, both of which I'm not supposed to eat.

I have used Hoisin with a simple saute of veggies. Quick browning on high heat then add a tbsp of Hoisin with 1/4 of water, cover and cook til done. Oyster Sauce is good too.

Hoisin sauce is perfect in chinese spare ribs. Cook them long and slow covered and then take the lid off for the last half hour of cooking. You want the meat to fall off the bone. I use Nigella's recipe for spare ribs but I add hoisin to it, definitely makes a difference.

Same here. When I was browsing recipes I saw a few to make hoisin. For some reason, I never thought about it. I think I will put it on my list of things to attempt to make...

Karen just made a batch of worchestershire!:yum:

For hoisin, it would have to be a beef stirfry!

I didnt think Worcestershire sauce contained hoisin sauce - but intrigued to know what you put in it and how it tastes, is it quite authentic? I always have Worcestershire sauce in my cupboard.

When it comes to Chinese cooking, I am from the Martin Yan school: You make a sauce first, add some vegetables, then you add some kind of meat, poultry, seafood or even tofu to finish it off. So here is my recipe for Mongolian Stir-Fry that uses hoison sauce, and you can add whatever protein you like:

Mongolian Stir Fry

Ingredients:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 pound of flank steak or lean pork, sliced thin; chicken, turkey, fish fillets, or tofu, cubed; or shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and de-veined [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]peanut oil for frying[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 small onion or shallot, sliced thin[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 oz snow peas[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 oz scallion, green part only[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 oz button mushrooms[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cloves finely minced garlic[/FONT]
Coating:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg white[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 tsp salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp cornstarch[/FONT]
Sauce:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp cornstarch [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp turbinado sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp Chinese chili sauce [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs dry sherry, white wine, or rice wine[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs hoisin sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 cup beef, chicken, shrimp, or vegetable stock[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Combine sauce ingredients and set aside. Combine egg white, salt and cornstarch, add meat and mix well to coat. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Heat peanut oil in wok over high heat, then stir fry meat until just cooked through and remove from wok. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add additional peanut oil to wok and stir fry onion or shallot and snow peas for 1 minute. Add green onion, mushrooms and garlic and continue stir-frying until mushrooms are tender. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add sauce to vegetables and heat until sauce has thickened. Return meat to wok and and stir until heated through. [/FONT]

Here's a recipe for Sunday dinner or for a dinner party you might like that also uses hoison sauce:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Chinese Dragon [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 ½ to 5 pound boneless pork loin [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ tsp salt [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ tsp ground pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Marinade:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup hoisin sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs tomato paste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs rice vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs grated ginger[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp five-spice powder [/FONT]
Garnish:

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 small green mango[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup crushed pineapple[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp lemon juice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 Tbs Pineapple vinegar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ small red bell pepper, julienned[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 scallions, thinly sliced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup chopped dry roasted unsalted peanuts[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Trim excess fat from loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large plastic bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close with a twist tie. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160°F. Allow loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, covered with foil, before slicing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Slice thin and serve garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts. [/FONT]

Last edited:
I didnt think Worcestershire sauce contained hoisin sauce - but intrigued to know what you put in it and how it tastes, is it quite authentic? I always have Worcestershire sauce in my cupboard.

My reply regarding the worchestershire was to encourage making stuff yourself. I think Rocklobster wanted to make hoisin. BTW, there isn't any hoisin in the worchestershire. The recipe is from Emeril's Xmas cookbook. If you tasted it right now, you would spit it out.:ohmy: It gets "canned" and has to sit for two weeks minimum in a cool dark place.

Hoisin sauce is perfect for marinating meat (beef, pork ribs, etc.), which you can then bake or broil. I found it working so well when I use it on ribs. A typical marinade that I use include: garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, and sugar.

Here are two similar recipes for marinated chinese pork ribs, Chai Sui (sp??)

Makes 1 ¼ cup

½ cup sugar

3 T sherry (dry or sweet – I use dry)
2 T soy sauce
½ cup hoisin sauce
2 teas minced gingerroot
½ teas 5-spice powder
1 teas salt
½ teas (or more) red food coloring
Reserve some for saucing and use rest as marinade.

3 pounds lean pork loin
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tsp fresh garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup malt sugar or honey
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 tablespoon chinese 5 spice powder
1 teaspoon red food coloring (opt)

Thanks, Mikey! I've been wanting to make this myself for a long time. It was a favorite of mine when I lived in Hawaii.

Thanks, Mikey! I've been wanting to make this myself for a long time. It was a favorite of mine when I lived in Hawaii.

Glad to be of service! I actually had to dig through years of my old postings to find those recipes. Now I am inspired to make this dish sometime during the weekend when I'll have time. :chef:

Hoisin sauce is perfect for marinating meat (beef, pork ribs, etc.), which you can then bake or broil. I found it working so well when I use it on ribs. A typical marinade that I use include: garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, and sugar.

I agree with the marinade for ribs or beef (tri-tip etc.)

Or, Mu Shu (pork, beef, shrimp, chicken, vegetable or duck).

This caught my attention:

Peking Duck with Vodka and Honey

Authentic Chinese Recipes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom