ISO Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
Hi
May be in wrong forum, please accept my apologies.

I teach cooking to a group of 10/11 year olds. They spend 6 to 8 weeks doing different recipes, cooking the basics of a meal for their families. Their spag bol recipe is appalling - bascially meat, onion and vegetable soup. I would like to give them a better recipe with better flavouring, yet is not too complicated.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me such a recipe that is tried and tested.

Ragu Bolognese
3 T Olive Oil
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
4 Garlic, minced
1/2 Lb Ground Veal
1/2 Lb Sausage Meat
1 Oz Dried Porcini Mushrooms
4 Oz Shiitake Mushrooms
1 C Dry White Wine
1 C Chicken Stock
3 C Canned Tomato
TT Salt & Pepper
1 C Heavy Cream

Reconstitute the dry mushrooms in some chicken stock or wine (a separate quantity from the amounts listed in the ingredients). Drain, reserving the liquid.

Sauté the carrot, onion and garlic in the oil for 10 minutes.

Brown the meats separately and drain.

Add the mushrooms to the sautéed vegetables and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.

Add the meats, wine, reserved mushroom liquid, stock and tomato. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1½ hours.

Add the cream and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes to thicken.

I think you are wonderful to teach kids to cook.

This is not tried and true but it's close enough to my 'this and that' recipe that I think it's comparable.

SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE - 6 servings

1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. celery
1/2 c. green pepper
2 tbsp. oil
3/4 lb. bulk Italian sausage
2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. Italian seasonings
1 lb. pasta

Saute mushrooms, carrots, garlic, onion, celery and green pepper in oil.
Add sausage and brown.
Drain fat, add tomato sauce, water, red wine, sugar and Italian seasoning.
Serve over hot spaghetti.

chop carrot(1) onion(1) celery(1) garlic(2) saute in ollive oil, brown mixed mince (ground beef pork veal) eq of 1 lb. mix together, add 1/4 cup dry wine (white or red) salt and pepper, tsp basil or fennel, pinch chili flakes (red pepper), about 25 oz chopped tomato (or break up whole tomatoes) canned is fine. Cook together for 30 min to melf flavors etc.

This is a simple sauce, meant to be used to dress the pasta not drown it. THe flavor is very good. More classic Bolognese sauces include milk take much longer slow cooking etc, but are worth looking up...go to Food Network : Cooking, Recipe Collections, Party Ideas, Quick & Easy Recipes, Cooking Videos and search for the sauce. also Epicurious.com: the World's Greatest Recipe Collection

miniman said:
Hi
May be in wrong forum, please accept my apologies.

I teach cooking to a group of 10/11 year olds. They spend 6 to 8 weeks doing different recipes, cooking the basics of a meal for their families. Their spag bol recipe is appalling - bascially meat, onion and vegetable soup. I would like to give them a better recipe with better flavouring, yet is not too complicated.

I would be grateful if anyone can give me such a recipe that is tried and tested.

These are 10/11 year olds so it is impossible to know what skills they have using paring knives, vegetable peelers...etc. I am sure a recipe that calls for wine (in any form) would not be acceptable for your class or their parents.
Your recipe is one that could easily be achieved. I would just add a can of Italian diced tomatoes. How long is class time?

My apologies, miniman. StirBlue is right. Wine in my recipe is inappropriate in your situation.

Thanks for replies
The lesson is in school and wine is inappropriate, but I normally sub with fruit juice. The lesson is for 2 hours and we usually prepare two dishes in that time.
StirBlue, part of our brief is teach and improve these skills, so I do want a slightly challenging recipe but also starts to teach them about developing flavour. The current recipe is out of step with the others in the repetoire. Parents also comment about the blandness. I could fiddle with the recipe adding tomatoes and mixed herbs but I still think it is too basic.

Rob410, your recipe looks good though I will sub the wine - any ideas.

miniman

Last edited:
miniman, I would just omit the wine. Fruit juice will add sweetness that's not appropriate to the dish. Just add extra stock to make up the missing liquid.

Back
Top Bottom