"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 03-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Flautas are in a flour tortilia though. I prefer them over taquitos, honestly. Then smothered in queso fresco, yum.
Honestly I've never seen flautas done with flour, just corn. Are you thinking of chimichangas? That's the only thing we fry in a flour tortilla and that's a north of the border invention anyways...

My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I guess it is one of those takes on it in the US.

Chimichangas are a great accident though, I like those too!

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
Sous Chef
The only flautas I've had are made with corn tortillas. I've always thought that taquitos are the frozen food section equivalent of a flauta, because I don't see taquitos on the menus of the local restaurants, only at grocery stores. My wonderful local Mexican restaurant makes wonderful chicken flautas.

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
taquitos literally means "mini tacos" and so are no different than tacos other than size, and that you usually see them deep fried. The taquitos you usually find in america are much closer to flautas than tacos. Flautas can be corn or flour tortilla, and are usually around 8 inches long. Either can have cheese in them, but flautas won't contain frsh vegatables or sour cream inside.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomtigger
My brother asks for these every year on his birthday. We make about 50-60 at a time, and they're great! We call them flautas. We just fry the corn tortillas for a few seconds in oil. Let them drain on paper towels. In a separate bowl, mix chicken, cheese, picante sauce, cumin, and green onion. We roll this up in the tortillas, place them on a cookie sheet, and bake them in the oven (not sure what temperature) till they start to turn crispy. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa, & I'm good to go!!

phantomtigger is offline   Reply With Quote