"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Jikoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kenya and Switzerland
Posts: 861
ISO TNT Chili Con Carne

Thing is I have never really had authentic chili con carne so I have nothing to compare it with, I however have tried some in a restaurant years back, but not quite sure if it's the real macoy. I have been searching today on the net for recipes for it and as usual there are lots, all I want is a real one. Anyone out there? Thanks in advance.

__________________

__________________
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Jikoni, there are a lot of chili recipes on this site. A search on chili will give good results.

Go to this site and click on the winner's names. Many of them share their winning recipes.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Chili is like tomato sauce. There's a bazillion variations and opinions. I don't even make it the same way twice. Has to have meat to be "con carne" though.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Jikoni, there are a lot of chili recipes on this site. A search on chili will give good results.

Go to this site and click on the winner's names. Many of them share their winning recipes.
Andy, have you ever made any of those competition chili recipes? I haven't looked through them all, but I've made two, and HOO-BOY! They are made with beef cut into teeny cubes, no beans, no burger, and jam-packed with enough spices to grab the attention of judges in maybe 2 spoonsful.

I couldn't eat even a small bowl of either recipe I made. Didn't care for them at ALL!

I like the plain old chili that I grew up on - which contains browned hamburger, a can of kidney beans, some onions, maybe a can of mild chilis, tomato sauce and a little storebought chili blend powder (and maybe a few other things that I've forgotten). If it's too spicy-hot, it's ruined, as far as I'm concerned.

Lee
__________________
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
OSis, I'm going to pot one I've used since the early 1990's. After all my tries, this is the only one I use.
I'm with you, your description is the only kind I like. Check it out. Will post in the recipe section.
(Give me a couple of minutes- I have to find it and type it and I'm slow at the latter.)
ENJOY!
__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Andy, have you ever made any of those competition chili recipes? I haven't looked through them all, but I've made two, and HOO-BOY! They are made with beef cut into teeny cubes, no beans, no burger, and jam-packed with enough spices to grab the attention of judges in maybe 2 spoonsful.

I couldn't eat even a small bowl of either recipe I made. Didn't care for them at ALL!

I like the plain old chili that I grew up on - which contains browned hamburger, a can of kidney beans, some onions, maybe a can of mild chilis, tomato sauce and a little storebought chili blend powder (and maybe a few other things that I've forgotten). If it's too spicy-hot, it's ruined, as far as I'm concerned.

Lee

Lee, I use boneless chuck and cut it into cubes for my chili. I usually use Wick Fowler's recipe along with kidney beans.

It's on my list to try a bunch of these recipes.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Jikoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kenya and Switzerland
Posts: 861
Wow, Love this, I do not have to eat the same one twice a year. Thank a million. I thought there was just one recipe to follow. I am enlightened as of today.
__________________
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Lee, I use boneless chuck and cut it into cubes for my chili.
I tried that once but didn't like the texture. I also tried using large cubes like for goulash. Ground beef for me pleeze.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
plumies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 444
I've tried a few of them with the cubes and like Jeekinz, I prefer ground beef too.
__________________
***************
CAB Cooks
plumies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
mbasiszta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: U.S., Panama
Posts: 2,738
Chili is as chili does . . . (Forrest Gump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
I've tried a few of them with the cubes and like Jeekinz, I prefer ground beef too.
Geez, one of the wonderful things about chili, or chili con carne is that you can make it from any of the leftovers you happen to have in the frig. I just made a Tex-Mex version with lots of leftover turkey dark meat I had. It was delicious! Yes, I cook a turkey 3 or 4 times a year. Love it.
__________________

__________________
Happy cooking, Marty.
mbasiszta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.