"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO TNT Chili Con Carne

Thing is I have never really had authentic chili con carne so I have nothing to compare it with, I however have tried some in a restaurant years back, but not quite sure if it's the real macoy. I have been searching today on the net for recipes for it and as usual there are lots, all I want is a real one. Anyone out there? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Jikoni, there are a lot of chili recipes on this site. A search on chili will give good results.

Go to this site and click on the winner's names. Many of them share their winning recipes.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Chili is like tomato sauce. There's a bazillion variations and opinions. I don't even make it the same way twice. Has to have meat to be "con carne" though.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Jikoni, there are a lot of chili recipes on this site. A search on chili will give good results.

Go to this site and click on the winner's names. Many of them share their winning recipes.
Andy, have you ever made any of those competition chili recipes? I haven't looked through them all, but I've made two, and HOO-BOY! They are made with beef cut into teeny cubes, no beans, no burger, and jam-packed with enough spices to grab the attention of judges in maybe 2 spoonsful.

I couldn't eat even a small bowl of either recipe I made. Didn't care for them at ALL!

I like the plain old chili that I grew up on - which contains browned hamburger, a can of kidney beans, some onions, maybe a can of mild chilis, tomato sauce and a little storebought chili blend powder (and maybe a few other things that I've forgotten). If it's too spicy-hot, it's ruined, as far as I'm concerned.

Lee
Old 04-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Executive Chef

OSis, I'm going to pot one I've used since the early 1990's. After all my tries, this is the only one I use.
I'm with you, your description is the only kind I like. Check it out. Will post in the recipe section.
(Give me a couple of minutes- I have to find it and type it and I'm slow at the latter.)
ENJOY!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Andy, have you ever made any of those competition chili recipes? I haven't looked through them all, but I've made two, and HOO-BOY! They are made with beef cut into teeny cubes, no beans, no burger, and jam-packed with enough spices to grab the attention of judges in maybe 2 spoonsful.

I couldn't eat even a small bowl of either recipe I made. Didn't care for them at ALL!

I like the plain old chili that I grew up on - which contains browned hamburger, a can of kidney beans, some onions, maybe a can of mild chilis, tomato sauce and a little storebought chili blend powder (and maybe a few other things that I've forgotten). If it's too spicy-hot, it's ruined, as far as I'm concerned.

Lee

Lee, I use boneless chuck and cut it into cubes for my chili. I usually use Wick Fowler's recipe along with kidney beans.

It's on my list to try a bunch of these recipes.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Wow, Love this, I do not have to eat the same one twice a year. Thank a million. I thought there was just one recipe to follow. I am enlightened as of today.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Lee, I use boneless chuck and cut it into cubes for my chili.
I tried that once but didn't like the texture. I also tried using large cubes like for goulash. Ground beef for me pleeze.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I've tried a few of them with the cubes and like Jeekinz, I prefer ground beef too.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Chili is as chili does . . . (Forrest Gump)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
I've tried a few of them with the cubes and like Jeekinz, I prefer ground beef too.
Geez, one of the wonderful things about chili, or chili con carne is that you can make it from any of the leftovers you happen to have in the frig. I just made a Tex-Mex version with lots of leftover turkey dark meat I had. It was delicious! Yes, I cook a turkey 3 or 4 times a year. Love it.

Tags
None