ISO TNT Sopaipillas recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
When I was growing up in the Iowa Great Lakes Area, we had a 'Mexican' restaurant that we loved to go to on occasion. First of all, they had these huge 'tacos' that must have weighed at least 5lbs called appropriately enough 'The Insane Taco'. But, most importantly they had a fried sweet bread that I think they called sopapillas.
Thiers was very light and puffy, and served with syrup or honey, and we loved em to death!
I did a search and came up with about a hundred different recipes, so instead of trying to figure out which one would turn out most like these, I decided to ask!
So, does anyone have a TNT sopapilla recipe like what I described?
Thanks!

Bump

I would like to try making them, too! The only ones I've ever had were in New Mexico - I fell in love with them!

Lee

Ok, here's a recipe I have in my files. It's Caine's, from this website. I haven't tried it.

Sopapillas
Yields:

1 ½ c all purpose flour
2 t double-acting baking powder
¾ t salt
2 T shortening
½ c warm water
Oil for deep frying

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add warm water and mix with the dough until it forms a ball.
On lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes. Gather it into a ball, and cover with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to 400°F. Divide the dough in half and roll out each portion into an 8” circle. Cut each circle into four equal wedges. Fry the dough for 3 to 4 minutes, turning gently, until they puff up and turn golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Tradition dictates breaking one open, drizzling honey inside, and eating.

Also, several months ago, I bought what I thought was a bag of Masa Harina, and it ended up being a bag of Harina de Tortillas. Basically, it's a self-rising flour mix used to make flour tortillas. There was a Sopapilla recipe on the bag. I've made it twice, the most recently was two nights ago. For a "bagged mix" (yes, I used a bagged mix, please forgive me!), it was pretty good. My kids went nuts for them.

I have a recipe I used for an all-Mexican birthday party for Buck a hundred years ago. They were awesome and there weren't any left after the party. I still have the recipe but I'll have to dig it out. Give me a little while and I'll share it.

Cool thanks guys. Now just one question, the ones I had (I just remembered the name of the restaurant it is Mrs. Lady's) were soft, puffy, and kinda like a light bread inside. They also tasted sweet on their own.
Does this sound like the ones you had?

Very interesting question, Grasshopper. Ok, there are similarities among three different things:
Bunuelos, Indian Fry Bread and Sopapillas. Learn about them here and find tried and true authentic recipes:
Bunuelos Recipes, Mexican-Style Doughnuts, Buñuelos vs. Indian Fry Bread vs. Sopapillas, Southwest Cooking, Mexican Cooking, Southwest Food

Navajo Fry Bread History and Recipe, Indian Tacos History and Recipe,

Sopapillas, New Mexico Sopapillas, Southwest Cooking, Native American Cooking, Southwest Food

i live in new mexico and almost all the new mexican restuarants serve them. i havent ever tried to make from scratch because there is actaully a kit that is sold here to make them.. let me know if the recipe posted isnt what you are looking for..

Well, the one's I've always made, or that my Mom made, were hollow, like a really small pita. We would rip a corner off and squirt some honey into it. Yummy.

I know that back when Don Pablos was open here in Tulsa, they had sopapillas on their dessert menu, but I don't think they were hollow, more like a good, spongy bread with a delicious honey-butter sauce.

I'll bet that if I make some more, and don't roll them out as thin, and possibly cook at a slightly lower temp, I'd get the "spongy bread" type instead of "hollow pockets".

Well, the one's I've always made, or that my Mom made, were hollow, like a really small pita. We would rip a corner off and squirt some honey into it. Yummy.

I know that back when Don Pablos was open here in Tulsa, they had sopapillas on their dessert menu, but I don't think they were hollow, more like a good, spongy bread with a delicious honey-butter sauce.

I'll bet that if I make some more, and don't roll them out as thin, and possibly cook at a slightly lower temp, I'd get the "spongy bread" type instead of "hollow pockets".

See, now the ones you describe from Don Pablos sounds exactly what I am looking for! Um, so when ya get it figured out for me (LOL) post the recipe!

I've been wondering why I've never seen sopapillas down here, so I did a lttle googling and it's because they are NEW Mexican - a great culinary tradition of New Mexico (and I have eaten them there). Here, I have had bunuelos, which are similar. They are a lightly sweetened fry bread that is usually dusted with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar or drizzled with pinoncillo (brown sugar) syrup. They are wonderful. PieSusan has done the research...but we want to do some EATING.

Edited to add: OK, I just read the article PieSusan posted...bunuelos are NOT fry bread. They are more like doughnuts. Oh gosh, how can you go wrong? So they are also alot like beignets, that you get in New Orleans...I think I must make some.

I know, she has done our research LOL! I am planning on trying all three versions hopefully within a week or two. Once I do start making them, I will post the results on here.

I have a recipe I used for an all-Mexican birthday party for Buck a hundred years ago. They were awesome and there weren't any left after the party. I still have the recipe but I'll have to dig it out. Give me a little while and I'll share it.

A hundred years ago? I seem to remember that last year was your 25th anniversary. 75 years is a pretty long engagement! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom