ISO Welsh Swooning Priest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
I have come across a reference to a Welsh Dish called Swooning Priest, that features products from the Town that first produced it (Caerphilly Cheese) it is alleged.

I was born and educated only a few miles from Caerphilly but have never heard of the Welsh dish called Swooning Priest.

Has anyone heard of this dish and can give me the recipe, please?

There is a dish of middle eastern origin called imam biyaldi, which means swooning priest. I'm not sure it's the same thing.

Check out this thread.

Like Andy said - Imam Biyaldi can be translated in several ways - The Priest Swooned, The Priest Fainted, the Swooning Priest. It is middle-eastern in origin (most attribute it's origin to Turkey).

Where did you run across a reference to it being Welsh, advoca?

No, I am familiar with imam biyaldi (I make it quite often - I love it, Though isn't it "The Priest Fainted"?)

But the Welsh version was mentioned in a book called Ladyfingers and Nuns Tummies, a wonderful book about how foods got their names, by Martha Barnette. I got it from Amazon.

It was when the author was discussing the name imam biyaldi, she went on to comment that the Welsh had a dish called Swooning Priest which originated in Caerphilly, Wales, and uses Caerphilly Cheese. But in spite of having been brought up near Caerphilly and interested in food I have never heard of the Welsh dish of that name.

Incidentally, we kids always joking called Caerphilly Cuffilthy, a play on the use in Welsh of the double l.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom