"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Cook

ISO West African Recipes

A few summers ago, I lived in Ghana, West Africa. I was in the North, and I'm looking for a few how-to's on the food there. Specifically, it involved a lot of fermentation of grains and the like, and while I saw them do it (basically just stick the milled grain into a bucket with some water overnight), I'm worried I'll be doing something wrong.

Does anyone know how to do things like the fermentation?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows what these ingredients are in English:

1) It makes soup kind of slimy. It *might* have been Okra, but sometimes people alluded to it being a leafy thing...

2) Maggi, the people who make the seasonings, had a shrimp bouillion cube. Does anyone know where/if I can find it? It's no where to be found! I'll go for *any* shrimp boullion if I can.

Finally, there is something called Jollof rice. I've seen ideas on how to make it on the Internet, but...if anyone's had authentic stuff and knows how to make it, let me know :-)

Mike (who misses the food!)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Head Chef

I remember seeing an egyptian recipe that used a 'leafy thing' to thicken or make slimy a soup. But I cant remember what it was. Ill keep my eyes out and see if i can locate what it was , if someone doesnt beat me to it .

Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Head Chef

molokhia leaves

If you google this, im sure u can find some reading and pics to see if this is what u are referring to.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Cook

:O That's exactly them! Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

Great, i got lucky i remembered it. I must have seen it on television a few years ago. Looked it up myself and stored it in my favorites. Then my hard drive crashed and lost everything. SO i completely forgot about it until u reminded me with this post. Hopefully others will come back to answer the other questions .
Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono760 View Post

2) Maggi, the people who make the seasonings, had a shrimp bouillion cube. Does anyone know where/if I can find it? It's no where to be found! I'll go for *any* shrimp boullion if I can.
Not sure about the cubes, but you can make your own shrimp stock very easily. Just save the shells every time you eat shrimp. I know people who keep a baggie in the freezer that they add to every time they have shrimp, then when you have enough, boil em up with some onions, celery and salt to make a stock (google shrimp stock for more variations).
Old 07-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Let me know if you still want any recipes, I have several Nigerian recipes that are very similar taught to me first hand by an elder Nigerian woman including Joloff Rice.
As far as the ingredients might the leaf be bitter leaf? it is in many soups. Also I buy the maggi cubes in any African markets (also mexican markets). its just an international version of bullion cubes sold in beef, chicken, srimp, and regular.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Cook

I'd love some recipes, especially for joloff rice!

The leaf might be bitter leaf...does it make a soup sort of slimy?

Hm...I've not been able to find shrimp maggi anywhere, but I'll have to keep searching. I live in a pretty multicultural city, so I'm sure they're around somewhere :-)

Mike
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I dont remember it making the soups slimy that to me sounds like ocra, bitter leaf looks simular to spinach in a soup but much more pungent.
I always used the regular maggi cubes but I would also add dried crawfish to my soups which I think has a shrimplike flavor.
You should really check out some of the small markets in different ethnic neighborhoods, like I said I have found the different maggi cubes in african markets, mexican ones and I think even in asian ones.
I'll pull out those recipes for you and post them in a bit Remember though these are Nigerian versions so they may not be exactly like you remember and also each family usually have slight variations to the recipes to cater to their individual family i.e some not as spicy as others...
Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Cook

Don't worry about the recipes being the same. Everywhere I went I had different versions of Joloff Rice or groundnut stew. I just want those fundamental tastes back! :-)

Mike

Tags
None