"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #21
Master Chef

I keep kosher so none of the items you mention above are usable. Though I'm sure there are plenty of good Italian meatballs out there.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
Senior Cook

The breadcrumbs soaked in milk are important to the tender texture, but I would bet you could use chicken or beef stock. Hey, I think I'll try that next time.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
Head Chef

Chaarlie, I'm glad I read to the end of this - I was wondering if you really like your meatballs, and it seems that your family does as well, why worry about it? Are you sure that in those restaurants you wern't getting some pork mixed in or do you always take care to ask?

I guess you and I are somewhat alike - if it says Ukrainian I would like to start as close to the real deal as I can and then work from there - like your most excellent cake or that lady's belache. :)

Anyway I think if you like your meat balls I must copy the recipe and go from there, I've forgotten already did you posted it?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #24
Head Chef

Hi Woodman, I appreciate your comments and tips here, really do. The comment you aimed at Charlie that I just received? Maybe it was a bad hair day - I hope so, this is a place of good will. Your suggestion to Charlie to specify Kosher was a good one. Maybe Charlie can pick up on that with his questions and posts. Also Charlie, maybe you could give us a non Jewish practical guide to Kosher - maybe a paragraph or what ever is appropriate. I've learned alot from you Charlie, keep it up!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
Senior Cook

the fennel seed is really good in meatballs. It gives it a bit of the sausage taste since thats one of the ingredients in Italian sausage.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #26
Master Chef

David, I did not have a spesific recipe. I used probably half and half, eh, maybe just a little bit more beef and chicken mix. Some onion, some bread, some egg, seasoning. I think my meatballs were much closer to Ukraininan than Italian. But I'm sure it could have been compemsated if I added more Italian seasoning. I was expecting more of oregano and sage but it was not there. At least this is what I understand from the above posts. I was afraid to over do it since i usually do not use those herbs. There is always next time.

As far as Kosher thread goes I'll think about it. First I'd have to figure out where to even put it. Have a great day.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #27
Head Chef

I find Oregano can sometimes be overpowering in the meatball. I would use it sparingly - if at all in the meat mixture. Much prefer to use oregano in the tomato sauce - and use seasoned Italian crumbs.

I prefer flat-leaf Italian parsley & fresh basil - but I do mix in Parm (which is a no-no for Kosher, I think). Here's a basic idea - but guess you can't use the milk either:

1-1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin or chuck
3/4 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or 1 tablespoon dried
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons milk

I make em about golfball size & sometimes bake until golden brown or add to (marinara) sauce.

Again, probably a no-no for you, but sometimes I put a cube of mozzarella in each meatball.

Maybe you can tweek the recipe, omit the dairy & add spinach or stuffing mix to the mix.

My quick & EZ method - add a packet of Lipton Onion & Mushroom soup mix, worcestershire & garlic powder - or Tabasco. Lots of ways to go.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #28
Master Chef

I have to admit, i did not always kept kosher, it's been only last 9 years give or take. I have to say, Amy, your recipe sounds really good. I'm not going to say that I would like to try it. In all the truth i am not big fan of beef in general and any ground meat in particular. I much rather have a beef or lamb "steak" or chicken.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Hi Woodman, I appreciate your comments and tips here, really do. The comment you aimed at Charlie that I just received? Maybe it was a bad hair day - I hope so, ...
Actually, it was a bad beer day; no beer = bad day.

It takes me a while to sort things out and write them in a way that everyone can clearly understand; specifying process, naming brands, etc. All that small stuff is actually critical to successful outcome of any dish.

If I had known the topic was kosher restricted I wouldn't have bothered to post a response. I don't like to go through all that effort for nothing, so at that particular moment I became a bit short.

Sorry about that.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #30
Master Chef

Don't be sorry. It's never for "nothing" I like to read real recipes, gives me an idea of what to shut for. And try to find substitud. Also other people might like your idea.

Tags
None