Italian meat balls that were not so Italian.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep kosher so none of the items you mention above are usable. Though I'm sure there are plenty of good Italian meatballs out there.

The breadcrumbs soaked in milk are important to the tender texture, but I would bet you could use chicken or beef stock. Hey, I think I'll try that next time.

Chaarlie, I'm glad I read to the end of this - I was wondering if you really like your meatballs, and it seems that your family does as well, why worry about it? Are you sure that in those restaurants you wern't getting some pork mixed in or do you always take care to ask?

I guess you and I are somewhat alike - if it says Ukrainian I would like to start as close to the real deal as I can and then work from there - like your most excellent cake or that lady's belache. :)

Anyway I think if you like your meat balls I must copy the recipe and go from there, I've forgotten already did you posted it?

Hi Woodman, I appreciate your comments and tips here, really do. The comment you aimed at Charlie that I just received? Maybe it was a bad hair day - I hope so, this is a place of good will. Your suggestion to Charlie to specify Kosher was a good one. Maybe Charlie can pick up on that with his questions and posts. Also Charlie, maybe you could give us a non Jewish practical guide to Kosher - maybe a paragraph or what ever is appropriate. I've learned alot from you Charlie, keep it up!

the fennel seed is really good in meatballs. It gives it a bit of the sausage taste since thats one of the ingredients in Italian sausage.

Last edited:
David, I did not have a spesific recipe. I used probably half and half, eh, maybe just a little bit more beef and chicken mix. Some onion, some bread, some egg, seasoning. I think my meatballs were much closer to Ukraininan than Italian. But I'm sure it could have been compemsated if I added more Italian seasoning. I was expecting more of oregano and sage but it was not there. At least this is what I understand from the above posts. I was afraid to over do it since i usually do not use those herbs. There is always next time.

As far as Kosher thread goes I'll think about it. First I'd have to figure out where to even put it. Have a great day.

I find Oregano can sometimes be overpowering in the meatball. I would use it sparingly - if at all in the meat mixture. Much prefer to use oregano in the tomato sauce - and use seasoned Italian crumbs.

I prefer flat-leaf Italian parsley & fresh basil - but I do mix in Parm (which is a no-no for Kosher, I think). Here's a basic idea - but guess you can't use the milk either:

1-1/2 pounds lean ground sirloin or chuck
3/4 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or 1 tablespoon dried
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons milk

I make em about golfball size & sometimes bake until golden brown or add to (marinara) sauce.

Again, probably a no-no for you, but sometimes I put a cube of mozzarella in each meatball.

Maybe you can tweek the recipe, omit the dairy & add spinach or stuffing mix to the mix.

My quick & EZ method - add a packet of Lipton Onion & Mushroom soup mix, worcestershire & garlic powder - or Tabasco. Lots of ways to go.

I have to admit, i did not always kept kosher, it's been only last 9 years give or take. I have to say, Amy, your recipe sounds really good. I'm not going to say that I would like to try it. In all the truth i am not big fan of beef in general and any ground meat in particular. I much rather have a beef or lamb "steak" or chicken.

Hi Woodman, I appreciate your comments and tips here, really do. The comment you aimed at Charlie that I just received? Maybe it was a bad hair day - I hope so, ...

Actually, it was a bad beer day; no beer = bad day.

It takes me a while to sort things out and write them in a way that everyone can clearly understand; specifying process, naming brands, etc. All that small stuff is actually critical to successful outcome of any dish.

If I had known the topic was kosher restricted I wouldn't have bothered to post a response. I don't like to go through all that effort for nothing, so at that particular moment I became a bit short.

Sorry about that.

Don't be sorry. It's never for "nothing" I like to read real recipes, gives me an idea of what to shut for. And try to find substitud. Also other people might like your idea.

i've found the meatballs (and other meats) pick up even more flavor from the sauce, as well as impart theirs to the sauce after letting it cool down and refrigerate for a day, then reheating it. one of those "better the second day" type of meals.
It's also a sure fire way to make sure the meatballs are cooked all the way through, especially if you fry them.

As far as meatballs in spaghetti, my family is Sicilian, and the meatballs NEVER came IN the spaghetti, or any other type of macaroni either. The macaroni was served on your plate with sauce already mixed into it, and the meatballs and sausages came to the table in a separate bowl, to be eaten AFTER the macaroni was finished.

Oh, and I've never heard any Italian, not even second or third generation American ones, call in "pasta." It's always macaroni in general, or the exact style of macaroni (i.e spaghetti, penne, mostaccioli, rigatoni, ziti, etc.). First of all, pasta translates to paste, which is only eaten by small children in the back of the kindergarten classroom when the teacher isn't looking, and, even more importantly, it sounds too much like basta, which you never want to say while the macaroni is being served.

Actually woodman, I learned from your suggestions about meatballs and shall copy them off into my recipe file - seems to me you know what you are talking about. Actually from all the posts on the subject I've learned and thanks to everyone!

But Charlie, Ukrainian meat balls you say? - I'll have to look that up :) As best I can figure you were light on the spices and my general impression of Ukrainian cooking is that spices are very lightly used if at all. Salt and pepper and easy on the salt is my impression. Am I wrong? Teach me something, my friend from Kiev.

...it sounds too much like basta, which you never want to say while the macaroni is being served.

basta is something you also say if someone tries to give u more macaroni with ceci (chickpeas) :ROFLMAO: yuk!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:@ paste in the back of the classroom

Woodman, thanks for reworking you Italian meatball recipe with all the tips, etc. Looks like I will have to make sure to have all the spices on hand and measured, everything in order and the recipe right at hand. Thank you for your effort! D

Don't thank me, yet.
Wait until you've tried it.

You might want to keep track of the spices (something that I NEVER do) by writing down the amount you use of each item, if only for your own reference.

Even if you add too much or too little of something, it's still gonna taste good enough to where you will see the potential in this recipe.
Keeping track your spices will provide the necessary reference that will allow you to make adjustments in future batches. You can even alter things to fit your own taste if yo wish.

Please report back afterward to provide info on the outcome.

Ok Woodman, I waited and tried your meatballs today - did the full process except for the anis and fennel seeds - I figured I was doing enough blind juggling of enough ingredients for the first trial. They came out very good indeed - well received by family. My daughter's "friend" is a third generation Italian-Irish-American and well accustomed to the tastes. He said they were just right!

So, it's a keeper! Will make again - I have the taste notes from this try and can hone in more next time! Thanks for the recipe and tips. D

Pippo90, I would really enjoy seeing your sauce recipe, if you have one. My great grandfather was from Aquilla, and none of us really have anything written down, we just "do what Grandma does," but it never includes meatballs. More often than not, we use stew meat or roast, etc., which cooks down and nearly shreds. The flavor and body it adds to the sauce is "home" to me. That said, I do LOVE a good meatball and have been known to add them to my sauce after they're cooked ... if they last that long!

Ok Woodman, I waited and tried your meatballs today
... They came out very good indeed - well received by family. My daughter's "friend" is a third generation Italian-Irish-American and well accustomed to the tastes. He said they were just right!

So, it's a keeper! Will make again - I have the taste notes from this try and can hone in more next time! Thanks for the recipe and tips. D

That's great news, David.

Once you've had a chance to try it, other meatballs just don't taste the same and might as well just be called "Hamburgers in the round".

if you use the Prego w/mushroom sauce as I do, you might also want to toss in a tablespoon or two of dried thyme to mix with the sauce.

If you're having a bunch of people over with this dish, you can dress it up to look really fancy without doing much work: Buy a fresh loaf of french bread. Slice it up and put it out with some slices of butter to start.

Serve a salad before the spaghetti, and once the spaghetti is ready, put out some crushed black olives and chopped italian parsley to go with it.

...so to dress it up, all you really have to do is slice some bread, cut some butter, and open up a few cans.

Cheers!

Last night i decide to try to make this dish again. I'm still not sure if they are Italian per se, since there is nobody Italian around to taste. But they are so darn good, everybody loved it. Can't wait to get home to have some, yum. Thank you for ideas everybody.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom