"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Italian Sandwich from Maine, USA

There is a discussion of the bread under The Bread Catagory..

but what Fillings make a Maine Italian sandwich?

I Love the New York Italian sub sandwich we get here in Tx.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Frankly, I wasn't aware Maine had a signature Italian sandwich.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Frankly, I wasn't aware Maine had a signature Italian sandwich.
Nor was I. And my brother-in-law, who is both a foodie and who spends 6 months a year in Maine, has never mentioned it, either.

A little Googling turns up this:
The Italian Sandwich Claims Another Soul | All Things Maine

It describes the ingredients as follows:
Bushey started on my sandwich, slicing the bread and filling it with slices of Genoa and provolone and a handful of chopped onion. Then she speared a whole pickle with a knife and sliced it by hand over the sandwich. She followed suit with the tomatoes, green pickles and olives.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Nor was I. And my brother-in-law, who is both a foodie and who spends 6 months a year in Maine, has never mentioned it, either.

Bushey started on my sandwich, slicing the bread and filling it with slices of Genoa and provolone and a handful of chopped onion. Then she speared a whole pickle with a knife and sliced it by hand over the sandwich. She followed suit with the tomatoes, green pickles and olives.
That's a salami and cheese sandwich in my eyes. An Italian includes a variety of meats along with condiments.

Consider Genoa salami hot and/or sweet Cappacola, mortadella, pepperoni, etc. For condiments: pickle, onion, tomato, hot peppers, oil and vinegar and herbs. At least, that's how we do it around here.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Steve,

Sounds like quite a hero ... I shall have to try it in July when we get over to Puglia.

Thanks for posting it.

Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll

Yes that is what an Italian sandwich is to a Mainer! It may not be what others consider an Italian sandwich outside of Maine, but to a Mainer it is. It can be made with ham too.

Growing up in Maine, if you ordered an "italian" in a sub shop, this is the type that you would get.

There was a place called "the coffee pot" in Bangor Maine that was legendary for their version of this sandwich, they made hundreds a day. They didn't do special orders if I remember, you would just order the sandwich and they would hand it to you, as many as they sold they were usually only minutes old. I remember as a kid when mom would go to bangor, she'd buy a bag full of them for the family and the neighbors.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
italian, sandwich, maine